And here are the 4 kids... John, Celeste, Kara, and ME. Isn't that flag a beauty?!
If you would like to make your own bus applique, you can download my template here. Don't laugh... I am definitely no artist! But I took this pattern seriously. I used a ruler and everything! So I hope it helps.
On Monday, I shared the fun rustic Western sign for that I made for my nephew's third birthday party--a cowboy party. Tomorrow, I promise to share all of the adorable details of the party. Your jaw will drop when you see it in all of its rootin' tootin' cuteness!!
I used the same pattern when creating my Five Green & Speckled Frogs. I made this pattern in Photoshop. You can download my frog patternhere. If you use it to create anything, I would love a link!! I want to see what you creative people come up with.
Like it? Want to know how I made it?? Well, here's a little tutorial for ya!
Using my scraps, I cut the shapes I needed for the bunny face. The scraps I had leftover from last week's hooded bear towel were actually a gold mine!! I used them for the ears, nose, and eyes. They really added a lot of texture. If you're wondering why the odd half-circle shape for the ears, let me show you:
I know this is a terrible pic, but I planned to fold each side of the shape to form an ear like so.
This is how I envisioned the whole face would look. Now I just needed to cut wonder-under to adhere each piece to my fabric and sew it on!
I found the only shirt my son has without some kind of graphics. It may not be perfect, but it works. Totally boyish, and that's what I was going for. I know I have mentioned this before, but I feel the need to dress my son ULTRA boyish because people still ask if he is a girl.
Anyway, I sewed around the whole face. I secured pieces of ribbon UNDER the nose for the whiskers. I burned the edges of the ribbon so they wouldn't fray. I thought about sewing the whiskers down, but decided not to in the end. I liked that it adds a big of dimension to the shirt.
This was the tricky part for me! I sewed along the folds of my ears. For some reason, I had issues with this part because my machine kept getting stuck. This would probably look totally cute with ribbon around the edges, too.
Then I sewed those ears on, and Operation Bunny Shirt was complete! I love the lopsided ears. Of course I had to try it on my son right then and there, but he would not hold still. Trying to photograph him was like trying to hit a moving target!
5. CUT. I was still in denial that this would work, so you can imagine my amazement when I peeled away the fabric and found out that it really worked!