DIY Milk Glass

Hello my friends!  It has been way too long.  I hope you are having a fantastic summer!

I would like to say that I have tons to post and my house is magically decorated.  It's not.  And I am being craft-lazy.  I am trying to live in the moment and enjoy these fun summer days with Little Man.  Plus I am getting caught up on our family blog in a BIG way.

Although the progress on decorating has been slow (I am so indecisive!), I LOVE the addition of this "milk glass" to my kitchen cupboards.  Ever since I saw this post on Elle Apparel, I knew that this would be the perfect addition to my kitchen.

I love and adore milk glass.  I love the clean lines and the white.  Even though I really don't have any of my own!  So I decided to make my own.

(And let's just ignore the pineapple on top of the fridge.  And the odd gap between my flour and sugar canisters.  Deal?  Deal.)

I raided Good Will one afternoon, and came home with a bunch of stuff!  My plan was to paint all of it in several coats of Glossy White spray paint.
Funny story:  Little Man walked in to Good Will with me and asked to leave immediately!  Strange.  He normally loves to get out and go shopping. I asked him why, and he said, "Because it's ugly!"

I also used some things I already had on hand--like this vase.  Mr. oopsey always sends me the same flowers in the same exact vases.  Not that I'm complaining, but I have lots of these vases!  So this one wouldn't be missed.

Lovely right?! Then it was just a matter of how to arrange all of the pieces across the cabinets!  I had fun making my arrangements across the cupboards.

Mr. oopsey helped me use scrap wood to prop everything up so it could be seen from eye level.  He even created some wood pieces with grooves to fit the plates perfectly.  You can't see the wood at all from below.

I love how this turned out!  And it was so easy!

What do you think?

Comments

1. Sue says:

That looks great, silly me I never would have thought to do that! Thanks for sharing! Sue

2. Beautiful! I love it. I wish I had shelves so I could display things….however, then I would have to dust, so maybe I’m better off not having any. :)
    Brandy Miller recently posted..Busy busy busyMy Profile

3. Jean says:

Are the dishes safe for food use after you do this? Or are they just for looking pretty?

4. Super cute, Alison!! I love the look of just using one color. Its so clean!! :)
    Michele @ The Scrap Shopp recently posted..Mini Patriotic Wreath PinMy Profile

5. How cool!! I have tons of uninspiring glass vases in my cabinet — I’m feeling inspired! Missed you, Alison, but so glad you’re enjoying your family time.
    xo Heidi
    Heidi @ Decor & More recently posted..True Blue {Flea Market Find}My Profile

6. Love it! Looks great! So glad you are enjoying your summer!!
    Karie @ The HoB recently posted..Easy Homemade Salsa – Two WaysMy Profile

7. Michelle says:

Our local thrift stores have milk glass for next to nothing around here. You would love it! I have one better I think. I took my 6 or 7 year old son to a yard sale for the first time (He was adopted, and he’s 23 now). As soon as we walked up to their yard and in front of them he looked at them and at me and said that he wanted to leave, because their stuff was a bunch of junk. (that was putting it nicely) He was right, but I was so embarrassed.
    Michelle recently posted..Finished Objects with PicsMy Profile

8. Wow= you have spray painting skills! If I did this (which I still might) there would probably be drips or uneven patches everywhere. Yours look great! Good luck with the rest of your decorating!
    Valerie@Occasionally Crafty recently posted..Baby Girl OnesiesMy Profile

9. Lorie says:

I love homes that have places up high to display things, but they intimidate me at the same time thinking it could get expensive to fill the whole space. What a great, affordable way to make that space look fresh, clean, and cheery! Thanks for sharing.

10. Geri Johnson says:

Looks great! I love it! I also love the kind of paint you used! I recently did a craft project & tried to use a cheapo brand of spray paint but it kept soaking into the wood. I ended up getting this kind & got great coverage with it. It’s more expensive but well worth the cost!

11. Morgan Williams says:

LOVE this!!! I am obsessed with milk glass & hoping to make a real collection someday in our next home but this would be a great way to hold me over!! Thank you so much for the inspiration – awesome as usual!
    Morgan Williams recently posted..The Last Thing Thursday: An Instagram EditionMy Profile

12. Heather says:

“Because everything is ugly!!” Oh too funny. I kind of think the same thing about our goodwill. All though we do have a new one that I haven’t been into yet. I wonder what it’s like.
    Can I just say I LOVE the paint color in your kitchen. I have this burnished red and I’m getting sick of it. The milk glass just looks so bright against your paint. Love it.

13. Karen says:

very cute

14. Amanda says:

Love it! I just may have to try this myself!

15. Ginal says:

This is ridiculously ingenious! I would have scoured the earth for matching items. You took a solution right there and made it yours. Way to go girl!

16. Lindy says:

Gorgeous Alison! Good luck with the rest and so glad you are having a wonderful summer.
    Lindy recently posted..Swag Code Extravaganza!!!!My Profile

17. ivonne says:

I thought this was a tutorial and was hoping to learn how you did it. Can you please share?

18. Connie says:

Love this project! Have you linked it up with me yet at Wow Us Wednesday?

19. Julie says:

I love this! It’s a great way of using all the odd vases from my Mr. oopsey, and all the weird glassware I have acquired over the blissful years of matrimony. I wish you’d come to my house and decorate it… blank slate for ya! I wonder if it would look cool in other colors… black, blue, red…. hmmm, I may sacrifice some cheap glass and give it a whirl.

20. LOVE this! I tried to do faux milk glass with flat white spray paint (that’s what I had) + mod podge. Yours look way better! The flat white works well for faux porcelain though =) xo
    caroline @ c.w.frosting recently posted..Herringbone Stamped RugsMy Profile

21. I really love how the white contrasts with the brown walls…it’s perfect!

22. Christy says:

Your craftiness never ceases to amaze me. I really love those milk-glass pieces. Very cool. :)
    Christy recently posted..Capture the Color Photography ContestMy Profile

23. Shantalle says:

Love this idea Alison!! I’m going to have to try this!!
    Shantalle recently posted..Banana Beach BitesMy Profile

24. Kat says:

I just started following your blog. I love this easy craft idea. The pieces you made are so lovely. I’m going to try my hand at making some milk glass for Christmas gifts (and a few for me too). :)
    Kat recently posted..Peach Freezer Jam & Mixed Berry Oatmeal MuffinsMy Profile

25. Joanna says:

These look really great. I love white. So refreshing

26. i love this, and i think it is perfect for above my empty cabinets!!!

27. Megan says:

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Love the clean lines.

28. Whitney says:

I love milk glass. I am always looking for it during my flea market adventures. I have a few pretty pieces, but I would have NEVER thought to try to create my own! This is so simple. Thanks for sharing! :)

29. Misty B says:

I miss your posts just wondering how you are and when you plan to blog again. Thanks for all your great teacher resources!

30. Joni says:

I stumbled on to your blog looking for birthday party ideas….then I recognized your face….you did your student teaching in my first grade classroom in Springville. What a small world the web makes it. You’re so creative! So fun!

31. Tiffany Lagrange says:

Hey, Allison! Just stopping by to say how much I miss your posts! I hope your are out enjoying yourself instead. T just want you to know you are missed! http://www.craftinterrupted.com
    Tiffany Lagrange recently posted..Saw It &Tried It : The Faux Mercury That Wasn’tMy Profile

32. Dixie says:

Have you taken a hiatus? I’ve missed your posts. :)

33. Terri says:

Love love love Rustoleum Painters Touch and triple love how you used it to create milk glass!! I have a full can of white and a cupboard full of ‘stuff’ just begging for a new opportunity to be a part of my life again lol. Thanks for sharing!

34. Gena says:

I miss seeing you on facebook. I love your ideas & even used a couple. I got a sweet & sour chicken receipe from you & haven’t tried it, but I’m going to make it this week.

I hope everything is ok with you & you are enjoying life. I just found this website so I can get some ideas from here but would still like to some of your new creations.

35. Amy says:

I love Milk Glass! I’m definitely going to try this soon! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!!
    Amy recently posted..Penguin Art ProjectMy Profile

36. Samantha says:

Your kitchen is now officially lovely ;)

37. Christie says:

Hi! I am doing a Sharing Station at the upcoming BYU Women’s Conference. I am compiling a list of seasonal ideas & want to include your Christmas action cards. I have used them many times during my singing time & the kids LOVE them. I would of course provide you as the source & provide the link to your post. Please let me know if I have your permission &/or if you have any questions. Thanks!

38. Alison,
    I just stumbled across your blog! How cute! I love this idea. You have inspired me. I am headed now to start spray painting everything white! Love!
    Hugs,
    Sandra
    The Adored Home
    Sandra @ The Adored Home recently posted..Popsicle Summer Bucket ListMy Profile

39. Julie Eckert says:

I love your handmade DIY milk glass, is there anyway you could post how to create it? Thanks.

40. Sherry says:

Oh Allison,
    I love this. I actually came by from another post but I am glad to meet you and see this one too. I have seen the dollar store vase but not the metal trays. I have been looking for an idea for above my cabinets. There is not much room but this might work! I am so glad to meet you. I came from your ABC Gospels post. It was on Pinterest today! I love your idea and your book is great. I want to make one for my Grands for Christmas. I’ll have to tweek it for younger children but your idea is wonderful. I’ve been looking at ABC with scripture but the idea of principles is much better for my litte ones. Thanks for sharing. I am going to visit awhile and see if you have a button so I can follow.
    Have a wonderful Valentines,