It's that time again!
This month's Creative Carousel is hosted by Amanda at Every Creative Endeavor. Every day this week, you will find some incredible creative tutorials-- all centered on holiday decor.
For my project, I created this JOY-ful Christmas display on my mock "mantel".
I miss having a mantel.
Our home doesn't have a real mantel--just a high ledge... A ledge so high that I have to get a chair and stand on my tiptoes to decorate. But I do love decorating the top of my DVD cupboard!
I have always loved the red and aqua color scheme for Christmas, so I set out to create a happy, colorful display to welcome in the holidays.
I started out with these large letters from JoAnn's. I had the O from this P-O-P frame project! And I used coupons to purchase the other letters. I am proud to say I spent less than $10 on everything! Not bad!
Here is a rundown on how I decorated each letter:
1. I gathered some felt I already had on hand. I probably used close to 3/4 yard of red felt to completely cover this letter.
2. I put on a movie, and just started cutting out tons of red felt circles about 2-inches each.
3. I folded each circle in fourths and pinched the bottom point.
4. I just started hot gluing each folded circle to cover the J. (Don't tell, but I only covered the front of the "J" because I realized no one would see the back!)
5. I love the texture of all that felt! Doesn't it remind you of rose petals? Love.
Next up: Letter O!
1. For this letter, I grabbed an old book that I found at Good Will a year or so ago. I cut each page into strips about 2 inches wide.
2. I used mod podge to wrap each strip around the O.
3. I gave the entire O a coat of mod podge over the top, too.
4. After allowing the letter to dry completely, I covered the other side of the letter, too.
5. I added a jingle bell flower in the corner!
I think this is my favorite part of the entire project!
1. I found some plush aqua yarn for this letter. I wanted lots of texture!
2. I used spray adhesive to adhere the yarn to the letter. I just wrapped it around and around, as tightly as I could.
3. Once I had wrapped the letter tightly with the yarn, I went over it again loosely to give it a messy look.
I put together the rest of the display using items found around my house....
I wrapped an empty box, found a spare frame (I used the frame and its beadboard matting), and threw in a few other random items! I wanted the letters at varying heights, so I used a candlestcik holder and wrapped an empty box to create levels.
I have a lot of gold in my Christmas decor, so I thought the gold beads might tie in nicely!
I created a few quick garlands--a paper doily garland along with a messy ruffled felt garland.
I am so thrilled with how this turned out! This makes me want to drink hot cocoa and listen to Christmas music!
This is only the beginning of a whole week of fabulous holiday decor projects!
Here is a tiny sneak peek at the crafty goodness coming your way:
Be sure and stop by Lolly Jane tomorrow for another fun tutorial!
Every Creative Endeavor is hosting a huge giveaway with some incredible prizes.
There are 3 prize packages, each valued at over $150. You won't want to miss out on all the crafting goodies! So head on over and enter...
I would be thrilled if an Oopsey Daisy reader won!
I am so stinkin' excited about all of the fabulousness in this line-up of sponsors!
A big "thank you" for sponsoring our fun event!
Have a great day!