Etched Hot Cocoa Jar {Creative Carousel}

It's my turn on the October Creative Carousel!

This month's theme is Handmade for the Holidays.  There have been some incredible ideas already shared at Every Creative Endeavor, Sew Dang Cute, and Lil' Luna.

Here is my handmade Christmas gift:

An etched hot cocoa jar!

With all of the fixings for your friends and family to create their own hot cocoa!

This would be fun to make in an assembly line and create jars for all the neighbors!

Let's get started!

I found this jar at Wal-Mart and quickly went to work cutting a monogram stencil out of contact paper.  The font is "Pharmacy."  I simply cut out an "S" using my design software and my Silhouette (although you could also use a Cricut.)  Just peel away the "S", leaving the negative space as the stencil.

I followed the directions on Armour Etch to brush the cream over the stencil.  I left it on for 5 minutes, washed it off, and that's it!

Etching is SO quick and easy!  No matter what is stored in the jar, it will make a lovely gift.

Let's be honest here.  The marshmallows are the best part of hot cocoa, right?

I wanted to create some marshmallow sticks to use to stir the hot cocoa.  So I stabbed jumbo marshmallows with lollipop sticks and dipped them in chocolate and then crushed candy canes.  I let them set on wax paper.

I have to admit that I made plenty of extras.  These are YUMMY!  Kind of like a peppermint s'more on a stick!

I wrapped everything up in cellophane tied with ribbon.  I added

--- Mini marshmallows (Can you ever have too many marshmallows with your hot cocoa?!)

--- A bag of peppermints (Candy canes would be great too, but I could't find them in stores yet!)

--- Three jumbo marshmallow stir sticks

--- A paper carton filled with hot cocoa mix!  (I used the pattern available here on Papertrey.)

After filling the jar, it was looking a little bare, so I created a "Warmest Wishes" tag.  You can print your own tag here.  I printed mine on colored paper and mounted it on a tag cut from scrapbook paper!

What do you think?

I do adore hot cocoa.  Even though it was 85 degrees while I was making this, I was still tempted to make myself a mug of chocolatey goodness...

Isn't it nice to get things done for Christmas?!

I am feeling so ahead of the game!

Are you working on any holiday gifts yet?

Cheers!

PS  Be sure to tune in to Craftaholics Anonymous tomorrow for another fabulous tutorial!

Linking up to Today's Creative Blog

Comments

1. I LOVE this-what a great idea and so pretty!

2. Adorable!! Its amazing how some ribbon and etching can dress up a glass container. But I think the marshmellow stirrers are my favorite! So festive and fun!

3. Courtney says:

I love this idea so much! I am dying to etch some glass now, girl! I think I am going to make some homemade vanilla extract and lavender syrup for Christmas with some etched glass jars. I’m using your notes!

I featured your lovely post in my {friday finds} today! http://sweetcsdesigns.com/archives/2510

4. Kelsey says:

Love this!! So super cute… to think that Christmas is creeping up so fast has me nervous. I haven’t even started on my boys’ Halloween costumes!!

Kelsey :)

5. LOVE this! I love the marshmallows dipped in peppermint candy. I’ve dipped them in graham crackers and rice krispies, but never peppermint. Looks like I’m going to have to try this one!

6. This is such a fun gift idea! I love the etched gift jar too. I want one :)

7. Sam says:

Love this idea, I think I will add it to my list of hand made gifts to make this year. Thanks for sahring.

8. Sooooo cutie! Love it! What a great idea!

9. Adorable!

10. Love it, Alison! Special, personalized, and so delicious! Beautiful etching, and I especially love the marshmallow stir sticks!

Jenn

11. Sharon says:

I love etching! I bought some beveled mirrored candle coasters at the dollar store and etched them then added felt pads to make coasters. Made a fancy box for them and the made a beautiful house warming gift. They were gorgeous. A compote bowl or other large glass dish etched makes a nice gift too. I even etched my name on my glass pans so they don’t get misplaced at church socials!

12. Holly L says:

Very fun! Great idea.

13. Nancy says:

I love this idea etching the jar will top off my homemade hot chocolate. Can’t wait for payday to purchase the etching cream and the jar.:)

14. Lindsay says:

I have a question about the etching cream you used- how far does one bottle of cream stretch? I want to try this and was just curious about how much I should buy. Thanks!

15. Kristi says:

Can you give more specific instruction on how to do the monogram on contact paper? Did you cut it out with scissors? Thanks.

16. Kelley says:

I love this idea and will make it for my daughter’s teacher. Thank you for the idea.
    I did have two questions… 1. did you find the stencil to trace onto the contact paper on line? 2. did you make the wording for the tag yourself or did you just find it on the web? I would love to make different tags, but don’t know how to using fun fonts. Any direction in that area would be great.

17. Kris says:

What font did you use for the stencil? Also, does it matter what type of contact paper that you use? Thanks for sharing, they are adorable!

18. Tesi says:

I’m doing this project for my family and my boyfriend’s for the holidays? Where did you get the contact paper and the stencil?

19. Catherine says:

This is incredibly wonderful and looks so easy! Question for you – tips on doing kind of the opposite effect – black letters on a jar just like this so the “monogram” would show up if you stored flour in the canister? THANKS!

20. Sonja says:

I love this! Thank you for sharing the glass etching; never thought about doing it. Now I am.

21. deena says:

this is really adorable. I love love LOVE the marshmallow pops with the chocolate and peppermint :D

22. Emily says:

Where can you find the armor etch stuff?? Could find at like hobby lobby??

23. Kate says:

Wow this is perfect! My new last name begins with an S and I’ve been dying to monogram some items in the house- Can you tell me what font this is? I’d like to use my criciut and Sure Cuts Alot to make the stencil. I really like this particular S.

Thanks!

Kate

24. Sonja says:

This is much easier if you use contact paper. I have a Cricut, but ended up double side taping all my edges and then trimming the excess tape. I also left the product on longer than the product instructions say to. I practiced on a glass pitcher of my own first, and all 3 things that I did came out nice with a minor glitch on mine & 1 gift. I may have to try the sand blasting product next.

25. Barb Allen says:

Have you ever experienced the glass NOT etching? I had a group of friends over to etch casserole dishes and some of them etched beautifully and others did not. New dishes/old dishes some Anchor some Pyrex and no rhyme or reason to which ones took the etching and which ones didn’t. Same bottle of etching cream…applied the same…left on the same amount of time. WEIRD!! Just thought I would ask a pro!! :)

26. Steph says:

LOVE this! What a beautiful and thoughtful gift this would be, I’m going to pin this for future reference :)

27. Can anybody tell me the font used for the etched glass cookie jar? I LOVE that letter S

Thanks!

Barbie

28. Patti McNabb says:

Where does one look for Armour Etch?

1. [...] for Creative Carousel this month. Over $200 in prizes!! Alison from Oopsey Daisy is sharing her Christmas gift idea today. An etched glass jar filled with hot chocolate goodies. I would SO love it if someone gave me [...]

2. [...] Christmas treats and gifts, and I am glad to see I am not the only one! I absolutely love this Etched Glass Hot Cocoa Jar from Oopsey Daisy. Alison has me dying to try etching! Leave a Comment Cancel replyYour email address will not be [...]

3. [...] Luna Thursday– Custom Wooden Blocks from Amanda at Every Creative Endeavor Friday– Etched Hot Cocoa Jar from Alison at Oopsey Daisy Saturday– Milk Glass Candy Dish from Linda at Craftaholics [...]

4. [...] Etched Glass Hot Cocoa Jar, by Oopsey Daisy [...]

5. [...] inspiration. Need an idea for a coworker or teacher gift? Check out this Etched Hot Cocoa Jar from Oopsey Daisy Have an ugly tree skirt like me? Make your own tree skirt WITHOUT sewing! No Sew Ruffle Tree Skirt [...]

6. [...] Every Creative Endeavor shared cute and fun Custom Wooden Blocks: Alison at Oopsey Daisy shared an Etched Hot Cocoa Jar filled with yummy treats: Linda from Craftaholics Anonymous shared a beautiful Milk Glass Candy [...]