Scrappy Color Book

When it comes to craft supplies, I'm a hoarder.  I have an insane amount of scraps that I just can't bear to throw away.  I even collect scraps that other people are willing to donate to me!  I love when I don't have to buy a single thing for a craft... I can just put it together with what I already have on hand.  (Not gonna lie... Mr. Oopsey Daisy is a huge fan of these kinds of crafts too!)

Lucky for me, I organize my scraps by color... which worked out perfectly for this project!

Today, I want to show you my scrappy Color Book.

As I considered what to do with my many scraps, I immediately remembered Everyday Celebrations' color book.  It had been on my to-do list for a few years now, so this was the ideal opportunity for me to create my own scrappy color book!  Little Man is learning about colors right now, so the timing was perfect.

I not only raided my stash of fabric scraps... I also threw in some ricrac and ribbon, too!  I searched high and low for scraps of all different sizes and textures.
I'm a dork, I know.  But one of my favorite things is to organize by color.

Seeing my rainbow of scraps really makes me happy!

Last year, I made 2 gigantic quiet books.  I used the leftover muslin to make the pages for this book.

Now for the fun part!

I arranged a page of scraps for each color, careful to leave a good inch around the edges for seams.  I adore ricrac, so I included it on every page.  I used different shades of fabric, and even used a bit of burlap on this page for texture.

I cut the words out of fabric scraps using my Cricut.  Because the letters need some stiffness in order to be cut, I applied Heat 'N Bond before cutting them on the Cricut.  Once cut, they are all ready to be ironed on!

Now for the sewing... nothing too technical!

This is a scrap book, after all!  (I still consider myself a sewing novice, so scrappy projects are perfect for me!)

Once the pages were complete, I pinned them right sides together, and sewed all the way around, leaving an opening.

I flipped it inside out, punched out the corners, and then top stitched all the way around the edges.

Once all the pages were sewn together, I inserted grommets in each page, and tied on some scrappy ribbons to add some punches of color!

The entire project only took a couple of hours, and I LOVE how it turned out! It's a rainbow of scraps!

Here are just a few of my favorite pages:

As for Little Man, this project was a definite success!

He loves to name the colors on each page and feel the different fabric textures.

And another quiet book I can toss into our church bag for instant entertainment!

Have a happy week, friends!!

Linking up to Today's Creative Blog, Whipperberry,

Comments

1. Sara says:

Oh my!! I LOVE this!! :) SO absolutely DARLING!

2. Oh my gosh Alison! That is incredible! It’s totally something I could sew too! Oh wow. That is fantastic.

3. This is beyond adorable, Alison!! I’m feeling a strong urge to make one of these. Its just too cute!

4. Tasha says:

So super cute! I have been wanting to make Leann’s book too. Maybe I need to pull out my scraps and do it too :)

5. Lori says:

Super cute Alison! Thanks for a fun easy craft to put together for my little ones!!

6. Kerry says:

This has Alison written all over it! I just pinned this to my pinterest account. So cute!!

7. Gabrielle says:

Your book is absolutely adorable! I don’t do a lot of sewing at this point, but I scrapbook and my paper collection is insane. I’m thinking about doing this with paper scraps and laminating the pages. I do love the texture that the fabrics create though, maybe I’ll just have to do both….. So fun, thanks for the idea!

8. delia says:

Very cute and a quality book that is going to last through all your kids and maybe even grand kids. Nice work. :)

9. What a cute idea! I could make this for my nephew for Christmas. My husband and I both hoard scraps of stuff and love it when our projects can be completed without a trip to town to purchase something special!

10. This is sooo cute Alison!! I love all the colors and the different fabrics you picked! What a great little book.

11. Erica says:

This is freaking adorable! I alm also a sewing novice, so I love this idea!!

12. Jen says:

This is adorable! You make the cutest stuff! I’m going to feature it tomorrow!
    Jen

13. Tara says:

I love this! What a great project for all my scraps laying around yours turned out great!

14. This is so adorable! You aren’t just teaching him his colors here, I think you’ve created family heirlooms that he can pass down to HIS children. So sweet!

15. Alison, that is the prettiest and most nicely done Quiet Book I’ve ever seen! I love the ric-rac and am in awe of the way you turn humble scraps in to an heirloom-quality treasure!

16. Erin says:

Totally gonna give that a try! Thanks for sharing!

17. megan says:

so adorable!!! you could sell these!

18. moominmom3 says:

love love love love love!

19. Susan Meadow says:

I have been looking for a project to make for neices and nephews for Christmas. I, too, am a fabric scrap hoarder and this is a perfect project–can’t wait to get started! Thanks for sharing this.

20. I love this. I need rickrack and to figure out the gromets, but otherwise this is on the to-do list!

21. Dee says:

This has been on my to-do list for over a year! I finally had the time to make and and got it done in time for Easter for my grandson. He loves texture, so this was the perfect project for him. Thank you for this wonderful inspiration!