Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad

There is just something about being in my swimsuit that motivated me to start eating light and healthy!  When we returned from Maui, I honestly craved something light and simple.  (And that is NOT always the case for me!)  This strawberry poppy seed salad was the first meal on my menu!
It's not only a simple meal, but tasty too!  I'm not really a salad girl.  But this is the only salad I will eat as an entire course. I love the sweet strawberries paired with the salty bacon.  The best part of the salad, though, is the yummy poppyseed salad dressing.  YUMMM!
This is also a special meal for our family.  I always make it for our Valentine's Day dinner!  Something about strawberries just seems so romantic, so this salad always makes the V-Day menu.
Want to make your own??
Strawberry Poppyseed Salad

Toss together:
Romaine lettuce (or your choice of greens)
Strawberries, quartered
Bacon, cooked and sliced
Toasted slivered almonds
Green onions, chopped (optional)
Mushrooms, sliced (optional)
Drizzle with poppyseed dressing:
Using mixer, mix together:
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. white vinegar
Beat on high speed while slowly adding:
3 T. onion juice
2 c. light olive oil
Beat until thick and creamy, and then add:
3 T. poppy seeds
Don't worry about writing down the recipe...
Now hurry up and go make your own! Yummy!

Comments

1. byumomof4 says:

YUMMM!!! This sounds sooo delicious!
    I am wondering, though, where do you find onion juice? (you don't have to juice them yourself, do you?!?)

2. The Miller Five says:

My mother in law makes a version of this. Hers doesn't have the bacon. Hers isn't with homemade poppy seed dressing either. 😉 This is definitely what I'll be bringing to the Memorial Day picnic. YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

3. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says:

This sounds and looks so refreshing, and I've never seen this salad with bacon…kind of brilliant if you ask me! I'm so glad you and your family had a wonderful vacation!

4. [email protected] Daisy says:

@byumomof4 – You don't have to juice the onion. You just grate an onion on the fine part of the grater until you get the amount you need. It's pretty simple!

5. [email protected] says:

This is one of my favorite salad recipes, too! (although my dressing recipe is a little different!:)
    YUM! Sounds especially good today … it's SUNNY in Oregon!!! Yahoo! :-)
    ~Bec

6. Jennifer says:

YUM! I love salads with fruit! I'm saving this one! Even though hubby hates mushrooms, I love them so he will have to pick them out! Ha
    Jen

7. Amanda K @ Every Creative Endeavor says:

YUMMY!! I love salads like this and yours looks so great! I am putting it on my to make list!

8. Jackie Koll says:

Looks yummy and I'm glad someone else asked abou the onion juice because I wondered how you did it also! Makes sense what you explained in the comment, though, I've seen that done on the food network quite a bit!

This sounds delicious! Strawberries are my favorite summer fruit so I'm always looking for a new recipe to use them in. Yum!

10. Oh, I love salads and this looks amazing!

11. mmmm!! We actually had something similar to this last night! Strawberries, grilled chicken pieces, glazed walnuts, with creamy poppyseed dressing! It's one of my new favorites!

1. […] perfect weekend lunch recipe. After a big breakfast, why not have a healthy lunch? Alison’s strawberry poppy seed salad is a delicious light lunch that even the kids will love! The sweet juicy strawberries paired with […]