Monster Play Date

Let's start out Summer Camp with a BANG!
In case you missed this post...
Every Friday throughout the summer, fabulous guests will be sharing creative ideas based on a children's story book.
Today, I am going to share MY idea to kick-start this fun series.
Did I mention that there would be roaring?
Oh yes.  Big, loud monstrous roars!
Recently, Little Man and Cousin got together for a monster play date based on one of our very favorite children's books:
One of the best.books.ever. Seriously!! The perfect story about friendly and lovable (yet scary) monsters!
Yes there were cupcakes.
And games.
Even dancing.
Are you ready to see all of the gory, adorable details??

After reading Where the Wild Things Are, we made our own paper plate masks.  We glued on foam eyes, noses, horns, tongue, and teeth.  And no monster would be complete without a few polk-a-dots!
Little Man and Cousin were scary for sure!
Bandanas are totally over-rated.  The boys simply closed their eyes, and guessed where to place the monster's arm.  I created the 16x20 monster poster using some adorable  clip art from Scrappin Doodles.
Four arms?? Why not?!
We also made our OWN footprint monsters.  I painted their little feet (toejam and all!) and stamped their footprints on cardstock.  Once the paint was dry, we added googly eyes, drew mouths, and even named our spooky monsters!
Instead of "Tie Dye", we named this monster "Eye Die!"  Pretty spooky, eh?

Do you know the song "Monster Mash"?
Well, it's a personal favorite in our house.  So we put crowns on the boys.  They acted like Max, King of all Wild Things, and danced like the wild things!
Little Man was a rather docile King.  He was snuggling with his blanket.  But not for long.... Cousin convinced him to find his wild side!
Sweet little monsters!
The boys LOVED playing with monster eyeball playdough.
I just made a batch of playdough and mixed in colored googly eyes (I found mine at JoAnn's).  I printed these adorable monster eyeball sorting cards from Mrs. Home Ec and printed them off to use for the sorting process.
The boys searched for eyeballs in the playdough, pulled them out, and placed them on the matching monster.
For lunch, we made English muffin monster face pizzas!
A bit of furry cheese, pepperoni eyes, and olive eyeballs made for a tasty meal!
These monster cupcakes were the perfect ending to our play date!
To make monster cupcakes...
I used neon food coloring to dye buttercream frosting.
To create the fur look on the cupcakes, I frosted them using Wilton tip #733.
I melted candy wafers with a single chocolate chip in the middle for eyeballs.
Surprisingly simple.
We had a few cyclops cupcakes.  Many with 2 eyes.  Even some with 3 eyes.  Why not?!
The boys LOVED their cupcakes.  Especially those eyes!  We are still munching on monster eyes.  Yummmmm...
A perfectly terrifying (but FUN!) day!
PS If you're looking for more fun play dates based on children's story books, check out this Dr. Seuss play date!

Comments

1. Heather at Dragonfly Designs says:

Oh my gosh!! So much fun! I can't wait to follow along and if you are looking for more guest posters ~ I would love to get in on the fun!!! Thanks for sharing!

2. Daisie Hanson says:

These are all such great, adorable, and scray ideas! I can't wait to try them!

3. Wow! Awesome. My daughter had a MONSTER MASH for her 8th birthday.

Here's a little sneak peak at our party!

Thanks for sharing! Such great ideas!
    Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

4. Brittany. says:

such an awesome idea. my son would love all the monster stuff!

5. The Miller Five says:

How fun! We don't have any little friends nearby, but this would still be a fun activity for mom and little man. Also, thanks for the link to Scrap Doodles! LOVE their graphics! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

6. [email protected] says:

That is awesome!! LOVE those cupcakes!!! :-)
    ~Bec

7. What a fun playdate! I especially love the monster pizza and will for sure be making this for lunch for my kids. Thanks for all of the fun ideas Alison!

8. Celeste says:

I'm so glad we got to be a part of the fun! You planned some great activities! Thanks for letting our little monsters come! =)

9. RootsAndWingsCo says:

All those monsters are too cute! Can't wait to join along on these fun Friday Summer Posts!!

[email protected]

10. [email protected] says:

Wow, that looks like it would take 2 weeks to plan one playdate!! Where do you find time for it all :)
    love the ideas,
    xoxo
    amy

You are just so stinking creative! I don't know how you come up with all of this. Looks like a ton of fun for everyone! Absolutely love the cupcakes. :)

12. jessa @ sparkle says:

What a great idea! My girls are obsessed with monsters. This is perfect!

13. London escorts says:

Monster Play Date starts out Summer Camp with a bang. The boys simply closed their eyes, and guessed where to place the monster's arm. We also made our own footprint monsters.

14. Totally adorable! What an amazing day!!!

15. Larissa says:

Super fun. What a great party. Love the cupcakes.

16. Rachel at Sun Scholars says:

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this!!!! What fun ideas! I just shared this with my Facebook friends, and added another one of your great posts on my Father's Day Inspirations. Stop by and grab an A++ button for your blog.

AND… Please, please, PLEASE stop by and link up at my For the Kids Link Party!!!! I'm a new follower… hope to have you follow me too!

:)rachel

17. Michelle says:

CUTE!! I will have to do this, looks like so much fun!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you could link up your awesome post to my very first crafty linky party! This is the first week of Delicately Constructed Fridays and I would really appreciate the link!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle

18. SmileMonsters says:

So stinkin cute! Love this and of course we love monsters here. I hope you will share this at Fun For Kids Friday.

Jo @ SmileMonsters

19. TidyMom says:

So fun!!!
    Thanks for linking up!!! I featured your post in my wrap up! http://tidymom.net/2011/im-lovin-it-wrap-up-5-21-11/

20. How fun! What lucky little boys to have such a creative mom.

21. Megan @ Jumping Bean says:

Little Lucy Lu Sent me! What an awesome play date theme! I can not WAIT to see all the other creative ideas for summer camp!! Can not wait to keep reading your blog!

22. Felicia @ All Things Fee says:

Adorable~ And perfect for a boy or girl playdate! There are not too many themes that can be used for both genders!

Would love for you to share over at Calling All Crafters!

23. RookieMom Heather says:

Holy cowabunga. This is cooler than a birthday party and you did it for a playdate! wow!

24. Jennifer says:

This looks so fun!
    Jen

25. I want to come to YOUR play-dates! WOW!

26. Absolutely adorable! What a fun way to celebrate summer. Cute monsters!

27. We are planning a monster birthday party for my grandson's 1st bday. Thanks for some great ideas!

28. Vivienne @ the V Spot says:

Oh so cute!!!

29. ~The Bargain Babe says:

So incredibly fun! I love the eyeball playdough. :)

30. Kathryn Michelle Jenkins says:

I love all these awesome ideas for monsters! so cute and creative. I will need to try them with my son. cute blog, excited to see your future posts!

kathryn

31. Kellianne @tinkeranniebelle says:

Oh my word, cutest cupcakes I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!

tinkeranniebelle.blogspot.com

32. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

This is so amazingly cute Alison!! I'm so happy you linked it up to Think Pink Sundays!! I featured you today! http://www.flamingotoes.com/2011/05/crush-of-the-week-think-pink-features-8/

33. I used your awesome cupcake idea and made some fantastic monster cupcakes for my sons party this past Saturday. They were so easy to make. I used Marshmallows for eyes and they worked well too.
    You can see mine here: http://733blog.blogspot.com/2011/07/it-was-monster-bash.html
    Thanks for the idea!

34. OMG, I love these Awesome, Adorable Monster Cupcakes, I can’t think of any kind of family party or birthday that any of us wouldn’t love to have these little guys on board. Thank a ton for the idea, it’ll get used A LOT!!!! YaY!

35. OMG….I love these Adorable Fun Original little Monster Cupcakes, I can’t think of any family party or Birthday that these little guys wouldn’t be perfect for. Thanks a ton for sharing….

36. This is so great! I can’t for my youngest to be a little older so I can give the boys eyeball play-dhough. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. :) Your boys are adorable.

37. I’m looking for your M is for Monster PDF. I already downloaded it, but I wanted to link it so others can find it from your site. Thanks!!
    Lindsey Whitney recently posted..Following God’s Call {Guest Post}My Profile

1. […] had this packet brewing on the back burner for quite some time.  Ever since throwing our Monster Play Date, we’ve been having way too much fun with […]