Spring Flower Wall Art

In case you missed my guest post at Positively Splendid, I shared this spring flower wall art.  Come read along and see how to make your own!
I don't know about you, but I am longing for spring.  Here in Colorado, we are finally seeing some sun, and I am craving more! When the temperature rises even a smidge, I find myself craving spring's elusive arrival.  I created this burlap flower wall art to brighten up my winter days! Come along with me to see how to make your very own!
I LOVE a good sales on frames.  I indulged a bit in a 40% off sale at Michael's, and found a long frame that would be perfect for this project.  I cut a piece of cardboard that would serve as the backing, and then I cut a piece of burlap that was about 2 inches longer on every side.  I wanted to have plenty of burlap to wrap around the cardboard.
I began by using green ricrac and ribbon scraps to create the flower stems.  I alternated the stem lengths, and made each stem a little different.
Next, I made some easy-peesy flowers.  I wanted the flowers to be a bit 3-dimensional, so I made flowers by cutting 4 circles out of my chosen fabric.  I folded them in quarters and pressed them just slightly so they would stay folded.
I cut centers for the flowers using coordinating fabric and pinned everything onto the burlap.  I think my favorite part was arranging the different colors and patterns!
First, I sewed the stems.  Then I made sure to overlap the 4 quarters of the flowers just slightly and sewed everything to the burlap by sewing around the round centers of the flowers.
I sewed some mini ricrac on some of the flowers.  This is one of my favorite flowers!  So bright and happy!
I wrapped the burlap around the cardboard, pulling it tight, and hot gluing around the edges.  (On a side note, if you use cardboard with print like I did, be sure that the printed side is the back side.  You don't want the print to show through.  I learned that the hard way!)
These flowers just make me smile!  I do believe that this flower wall art will have a place in my new craft room.

I failed to find a nice patch of green grass, but I think that the snow may be thawing a bit... at least I'm hoping so!
Have a happy (and WARM!) weekend!

Comments

1. this is SO cute!! i love how the flowers are imperfect and whimsical! great idea for spring.

2. UtahMillers says:

Cute! I think I might make one with pink flowers and one with purple flowers for each of my girls' rooms.

3. reasonstoskipthehousework says:

I saw this when you guest posted and love it! Might just have to make my own! I'd love for you to link up at my party that's still open!

Smiles,
    Melanie
    Reasons To Skip The Housework
    Tuesday Time Out Link Up Party

4. Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle says:

Very sweet! I'm inspired to try and make something similar now! xx

So bright and cheerful! Love it!

6. Tammy @ she wears flowers says:

This is beautiful! I have a stitching that is similar, but the colors don't pop like this one does. Can't wait to try this!

7. These are darling! I love learning how you made your flowers. Well done.

8. This is so sweet : )
    craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

9. Stephanie says:

Beautiful!

10. Amanda K @ Every Crafty Endeavor says:

What a fun idea. I love the little flowers!

11. Ladybird Ln says:

What a fun and EASY idea. Turned out adorable, and perfect for spring.

Carlee,
    ladybirdln.blogspot.com

12. Very cute! And thanks for the tutorial too.

Visiting from Tatertots and Jello. It's great to find your blog.

Have a great weekend.
    Pam

13. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy says:

Very very cute – saw it over at the Tatertots and Jello weekend wrap up, love it!

14. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

aww this is absolutely adorable! Love how it looks!

15. Hi Alison! LOVING THIS! You did an amazing job….

16. Oh I like this! I just recently bought some burlap and have no idea what to do with it ha! Thanks for sharing, i'm going to try it!

17. Laurel {Make and Takes} says:

I would love to have this in my home! Thanks for the great tutorial. I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

18. very pretty. I love the ric rac.

megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

19. Michelle says:

So pretty and festive! Visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I am already a follower! Have a great weekend!
    Michelle

20. Paper-Charmed says:

Saying hello from California! It's been a bit cold here lately.

Very nice flower art!

21. Courtney Elizabeth says:

This is so cute and fun! And what a great way to use up some scraps!

22. DoodleBoopDesigns says:

Very cute!!! New fan from DoodleBoop Designs! I've added your button to my blog at:

Check out my other pages at:

23. southernscraps says:

So cheery! I have the perfect frame for this. I'm adding this to my "crafts to do" list.

24. Shore Girl says:

Beautiful! Love the bright colors and how easy it is to make!

25. Jenn Erickson says:

Alison, I love the bright colors and wonderful, sweet and cheerful design!

26. I'd love for you to link up at Inspire Me Mondays!

27. Adorable! This so makes me smile!

28. This is such an ADORABLE idea!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

29. BuyAionAccount says:

How fantastic it is! You are so artistic!

Buy Aion Account

30. Ok, I am obsessed with this!!! I am definately going to have to make one for my house! Love it!

31. very very sweet! Love that you used ric rac for the stems. Makes the flowers all the more seet!

I am having a giveaway on my blog.

$40 store credit to get a drawstring backpack with an adorable applique, great from summer camp and trips and lovely spring hair accessories for girls. You just have to leave a comment to win.

32. amber marchant says:

Aw this is so cute! Great idea. I found you at Blue Cricket. Please come visit me at http://barbwired0117.blogspot.com/

33. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} says:

I still LOVE this! :) Thanks for linking it up this week!

34. Jessica at Me Sew Crazy says:

I thought your work was so awesome, I had to show it off!!!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!

35. Kimm at Reinvented says:

So cute, I love it! You've inspired me to try something similar for an empty wall, thanks!

36. [email protected] Dream Canvas says:

This looks lovely. Great blog! Hope to see you a My Dream Canvas!

1. […] quant à elle, s’est inspirée du site « Oposey Daisy », qui nous a inventé de nouvelles espèces de fleurs. Précision de Val: « coller au […]