Toy Story Birthday Party

Invitations
Outdoor Decorations
I created this Etch-a-Sketch image in Photoshop and mod-podged it onto wood. (I photoshopped Little Man's name off of everything. It really does have his name on it!)
This sign was hanging on our front door as guests arrived.  It was meant to look like the sign that hangs from Andy's bedroom in the movie.  (Can you tell that I have watched Toy Story about a million times?!)
Indoor Decorations

Cardboard birthday banner.  (You can see the tutorial here.)
Toy Story character pennant banner using felt and fabric transfers.  (You can see the tutorial here.)
The army men were parachuting and repelling from upstairs to downstairs.
Toy Story themed birthday subway art.  (You can see more about this here.)
I downloaded these Toy Story replica drawings from Pixar Planet forum here.  They look just like the originals!
Dinner Table
We started out the party with dinner for family.  I didn't want to use the commercialized Toy Story paper products, and I wanted to keep things simple.  Instead, I made this bandana tablecloth and used blue paper products.
Each guest had a personalized "Happy Birthday" candy bar by their place setting.
Instead of having name cards, each guest (who was dressed up as a Toy Story character) had to find their own famous character quote.  This was Little Man's place setting because he was  Buzz Lightyear for the evening.
Food
For dinner, we served:
 Buzz Lightyear's UFO Burgers, Slinky's Wiener dogs, Bo Peep's berries, Bullseye's baked beans, Mr. Potato Head's french fries, alien juice (lemon lime juice), and Barbie & Ken's crisper (veggies & dip).
Costumes
Our guests were asked to dress up as a Toy Story character.  Of course Little Man dressed up as his favorite character--Buzz Lightyear.
Our family was kind enough to dress up as other Toy Story characters.  I made Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head costumes for my husband and me.
Games
Army man estimation.
As guests arrived, we asked them to estimate how many army men were in the jar.  Each guest wrote down their guess.
Toss the snake in the boot.
I cut out the cowboy boot from a cardboard box.  Each guest had 5 chances to throw the plastic snake in the boot.
Toy Story Bingo.
Instead of marking a free space, each guest marked the spot for their own character.

Pin the star on Woody.
Just like "Pin the tail on the Donkey", we blindfolded everyone and they tried to pin their metal star badge (from Hobby Lobby) onto Woody.  I made this poster in Photoshop and just had it printed at Costco.
Pass the space rock.
Played just the same as "Hot Potato", we passed a tinfoil ball while listening to the Toy Story soundtrack.
Buzz's Laser Gun Show.
My hubby got the best Nerf gun he could find, and we took turns shooting darts at the Toy Story villains--Sid, Lotso, Al, Zurg, and Prospector.
 Mr. Potato Head relay.
We divided the guests into 2 teams: Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.  Each member had to run to their potato head, create the potato head according to the picture with all of the correct accessories, have it checked off, and then take it apart for the next team member.  The first team done, won!
Party hats
I made each party guest an alien hat.  The aliens have the Pizza Planet logo on them.
Cupcakes
Instead of making a cake, we made s'mores cupcakes.  If you remember, in Toy Story 3, Lotso rides around in a dump truck.  I found dump trucks in the dollar section at Target, and we used these to serve cupcakes.  Of course they were well guarded by army men.
Fun!
Enjoying our cupcakes and ice cream!
Opening up LOTS of Toy Story toys!
The winner of each game won a prize--a Toy Story character Pez machine!
Favors
I washed the dump trucks after we ate the cupcakes, and they made perfect favors!
Credits
* I used this digital kit from Sweet Shoppe Designs for most of my designing.  It was perfect!
* I found TONS of amazing Toy Story birthday ideas (including the cupcakes in dump trucks) from Rook No. 17.  Jenn shares tons of printables and ideas here.  Thanks, Jenn!
Wow, I'm glad birthdays only come once a year.
That was a lot of fun!
The End.
Linking up to Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

1. Elizabeth LeConey says:

You have given me SO many cute ideas for my son's Toy Story party in a month! Very cute!

2. Amy @ Positively Splendid says:

Amazing, Alison! Just amazing!

3. UtahMillers says:

Wonderful job Alison! I am super impressed. His party looks like so much fun! I'm loving all of your ideas!

4. Bee happy says:

You must have put hours of work into this party, it looked amazing!

Hope everyone had a great time :)

Bee happy x

5. Naomi says:

So excited for all of the ideas!! I love it! I hope mine turns out this cute! I will find out this Saturday!! Thanks for sharing!

6. Michelle says:

I love the ideas, and how fun that all the guests were different characters from the movie. Great job on everything!

7. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says:

So precious! Every detail is spectacular! I especially love the repelling army men! So clever!

8. Erin @ Crafts and Sutch says:

BTW I stumbled this! :)

9. Lindsay says:

You had some awesome ideas! Very creative!

Absolutely AMAZING! You came up with SO MANY fun ideas!! I love that not only Little Man was entertained, but ALL of the guests were, too. How very special!

11. Alison @ makeitworkordowithout.blogspot.com says:

Wow! You thought of it all! I bet your little guy had a great time.

12. Cindy says:

Holy cow, what an awesome party! I loved every bit of it! The etch a sketch is awesome!

13. Tony and Whitney says:

Oh my holy cow!!!! That was A LOT of work! I can see why you wanted a break!. Love this!

14. Holly says:

Wow! What a fantastic party! So many great ideas. The Mr. Potato Head relay would be a fun activity for family night..my boys would love that!

15. kate says:

wwowwww wowwww owwwwww!!! just amazing work!! you have so many creative and clever party ideas! your little man is so lucky to have you for his momma.

16. Allison {A Glimpse Inside} says:

This is so darn cute! You did a fabulous job! I now know what you were doing all those late nights! lol Love your costumes and the Army men on the ceiling!

17. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! but my fav. was when my cute 2 year old came in and pointed his chubby finger at the monitor and said BUZZ! he just started saying Buzz yesterday when he saw a buzz doll at Walmart. Love all your darling touches, well well done. Super darling! JEN

18. Annie says:

Way to go Momma!

19. M* {Daydream Believers} says:

What a great party! :) Your decorations were adorable and I am LOVIN the "snake in my boot" game – so clever! Great job! :)

20. Anne-Marie says:

Wow! You went alllll out! It looks like it was amazing and everyone had fun! =)

21. The Keylors says:

Too cute!!! Great job!

22. Stacy says:

Super cute!! I'm going to save this idea for my son's second birthday. Thanks for sharing your precious moments with us.

23. Shay says:

These pictures are so adorable! I'm so impressed with how you've really brought the movie and theme to life, and clearly made it a special day for your little man.

24. Kristina says:

Wow you have given me a ton of ideas for my sons fifth birthday party! The digital papers from Sweet Shoppe designs made my day!

25. Kara @ Tizzi Lish says:

I'm your newest follower from Blue Cricket Show and Tell Wednesday! We just did our sons 2nd birthdya party too! I hope you will stop over and check it out!

26. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

This is amazing! I love how you show that you don't have to spend lots and lots of money to have a great party!

27. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

28. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

29. Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever says:

30. Kristy says:

Amazing! You really made that a birthday to remember!

31. Kim @ KimsKandyKreations says:

Wow! You did an amazing job on this party. I was hard pressed to figure out which detail I liked the best.

Love the cupcakes served in the toy dumptrucks! I haven't seen that idea before and think it's so clever. And what a great idea to use them as the party favor.

Love how you made it look so much like Andy's room without overdoing the Toy Story theme with store bought products. The blue with the theme accents was just enough without making it too much.

What a great job! I'm totally going to keep following along as you share so many great ideas. Thanks.

32. Jenn Erickson says:

Alison, WOW! I love all your creative touches with this birthday. Looks like it was an incredible success! I absolutely love the "Snake in the Boot" game, the Etch-a-Sketch sign, and the fabulous alien hats (just to name a few)! Thank you so much for the link and I was so flattered to see the way you incorporated some of my ideas with all of the fabulous ones of your own. Too bad we're not neighbors, eh? We'd throw outrageous parties together! Warmest wishes, Jenn/Rook No. 17

33. Rachael says:

You did an amazing job!! I'm sure your son loved it! What a lucky little man! Love the attention to detail. So fun!

34. Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com says:

Wow!! You are amazing Alison!! That party is so sweet – I can't believe all the touches you did!
    I love the army men hanging from the ceiling and the fact that you dressed up!!! What a special birthday for your little man!

35. Nicole says:

Woozers!! What a fantastic party!! You're little man sure is lucky to have such a crafty Momma! All your decorations look fantastic!!

36. Secret Mom Thoughts says:

So many great ideas. Fabulous party.

37. Tasha says:

You are serioulsy A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! It is all So incredibly fabulous. Love love love it all. For the decorations to the food to the dressing up….FABULOUS. Alison you really outdid yourself. So fun.

38. Kary says:

Holy Cow! Amazing! Maybe if I start now I will be ready in 3 months for my son's Star Wars Lego themed party. (he'll be 7) I'm sooo impressed with all that you did!

39. Chiara says:

So wonderful! You thought of everything! I was so impressed I shared this post on my Friday Favorites! Great job!

40. Toy story 3 party favors says:

Kids will surely like toy story costumes and toys like this one.

41. Tiff says:

Can you come and do my kid's birthday? LOL That party was awesome!

42. Lisa Anderson says:

Looks like a fun party!! My son just turned two last month and we also had a Toy Story party. If you are interested, take a look at my blog I posted some pictures. Good job on the party!

43. Heidi says:

I love reading all about your Toy Story party. I threw one last year for my youngest child and last week we had a Sonic the Hedgehog party for him. Lots of work, but lots of memories!

44. junnipergirl says:

Wow! Lots of ideas for my sons combined party in May. Well done!

45. Jamie says:

What a fun party. You have some amazing ideas.

46. Laurel {Make and Takes} says:

Awesome party ideas! My son would LOVE this. I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

47. Catherine says:

WOW…amazing job! Love all of it…thanks for sharing!

(visiting from Tatertots & Jello)

48. Vanessa Washburn says:

Wonderful party, it looks great!

49. Elle Belles Bows says:

GREAT JOB!!

I saw your party over at Tip Junkie first (she is further up on my reader and I am behind in blog reading).

I love every detail!! Happy Birthday to your little man!! Kerri

50. PartyMom says:

What a fantastic party! I'm actually posting about a Toy Story party tomorrow, and it's so much fun seeing all the different takes on this theme!

51. monkeyDluffy says:

Great article! Toy Story parties seem like they’re really popular because there are so many different games, decorations and treats that you can make, and of course kids love Toy Story (who am I kidding, I love Toy Story more than most kids I know). We have a our own party guide, with some similarities and some differences, and it would be awesome if you could leave comment with a link to your post. Here is a link to our Toy Story Party Supplies

52. Anonymous says:
  53. ANGELA OR PAUL says:
  54. Toy Story Party Supplies says:

Wow, you're amazing mom! Everything was done so perfectly… I love the creativity of all the lovely details of this such a wonderful and fun Toy Story Party. You had a lot of creative and adorable Toy Story Party Supplies… I wish i could throw a party like yours…

55. Anonymous says:

Great party!! Where did you get the invitations? I love them!

56. JennyNiemann says:

Awesome party! You did great! I was wondering where you got the BINGO? I cant find any that will work for me.

57. Anonymous says:

I love your party, what great idea's! I was wondering how you made your Mr.& Mrs. Potato Head costumes? Thanks for sharing!

58. Amy says:

That looked like a great party! You have such cute ideas. Loved all the personalized goodies.

59. liz* says:

We’re doing a toy story party in september – thanks for some great inspiration ideas!

60. I love this party!!!! So adorable… I think I found my birthday party theme! :)

61. Wow, Alison, you’ve sure raised the bar with all of the details in this party. Love it! I think my favorite is the cupcake on the dump truck. But there are too many things I like to say for sure.

62. This party is awesome. You have the greatest ideas and the party turned out great everyone looked like they had a great time.

63. Jennifer says:

Hi! You had such amazing ideas for the Toy Story themed birthday! I am throwing my son a 2nd birthday party with the Toy Story theme as well. I would love to use your idea for the Pin the Badge on Woody game. I am a photographer so I am familiar with photoshop, but I can’t figure out how to locate a high resolution image to use for Woody. If you have time, I would greatly appreciate some help in this area! Thank you!

64. Betsy Derr says:

My friend always says, “The essence is in the details”. You certainly put a lot of thought into the details and it shows! The etsy banner is made by my friend and she is flattered that you copied it for your party!

65. leigh says:

Hi- This is so cool! Do you mind sharing how you made the invitations?

66. Brandice says:

Where did you find the invitation? I’ve been looking every where for cute invites…

67. Salma says:

The invitation is so perfect & It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’d love to know where you found this.

68. Kristi says:

I LOVE your Toy Story party and am having one for my twins in October. They will be two and are obsessed with Toy Story. Is there anyway that you could send me the woody picture photoshop file you made of the pin the badge on woody? I’m not that great with photoshop or I would make one myself.

69. richelle says:

How did u make the invitations?

70. richelle says:

Thank you Alison! You threw such a great party! I had my oldest a toy story party last year. Now my youngest wants one also so I’m having to come up w ideas that r diff from the one I had last year. And I don’t like the toy story birthday kits you can buy online. Thanks!!

71. Laura D says:

Thank-you so much for sharing!!! I used many of these ideas in my little boy’s party this weekend!

72. Shan says:

I love love this idea!!! How were you able to get the Army men to parachute down? What was used? I am trying to plan for my son’s party and his theme is Toy Story as well.

73. Emily says:

So, so cute. I am so excited to start putting this party together for my little boy! Thank you for all these cute ideas.

74. Kim says:

I LOVE this blog! Thanks so much for giving me all kinds of great ideas!

Any chance you could send me the poster file? I would love to do that and the party is only a few days away so won’t have time to recreate it!

Thanks a bunch for amazing ideas and all your time invested that you were willing to share!

75. billige ipad says:

Hi! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give
    a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your articles.

Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
    Appreciate it!
    billige ipad recently posted..billige ipadMy Profile

76. Kristen says:

Love your party! I am having a “Toy Story” party for my triplets and wanted to print the Pin the Badge on Woody poster. Would you be able to email me your file?

Thanks!

77. shari says:

Thank you for posting! Such cute ideas! Would you happen to have a link to the toy story sign sheet that maybe you could email to me?? I would love to use that for my sons birthday party!

78. Kassie says:

Was just checking out ur toy story themed party and was wondering if u remember where u got the little dump trucks that u gave as favors? Can’t find any little ones anywhere

79. Laura says:

Where did you get the invitations for your baby’s party?

1. [...] #19 Toy Story Birthday Party from Oopsey Daisy [...]