Heart-Shaped Cake Pops

In case you missed my guest post on Tip Junkie...
I love a good celebration, and all good celebrations include treats, right?  I made these fun heart-shaped cake pops to give out to friends and family for Valentine's Day.  Come along to see how to make your own!

I followed Bakerella's fabulous instructions to mix up the cake balls using a red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.  You simply crumble the baked cake and store-bought cream cheese frosting together!  Instead of rolling them into balls, I decided to mold heart shapes.  My heart-shaped ice cube trays created perfect little hearts.  (If you don't have trays, don't stress!  You can easily mold heart shapes by hand!)  I let my hearts chill in the refrigerator for a full 24 hours.
The next day, it was time to dip those hearts in chocolate!  I wanted both white and milk chocolate hearts, so I followed the package instructions to melt white (vanilla) candy coating and chocolate candy coating.  I dipped the end of my lollipop stick in the chocolate and inserted it into the heart first.  I let the chocolate on the stick get firm, and then I dipped the hearts into chocolate.  I found the method that worked the best for me was using a spoon to coat the hearts.
I laid out all the hearts on wax paper to dry.  Don't worry about the messy sticks--you can clean them up later!
After the chocolate hardened up, I dipped my fork in the opposite color of chocolate, and just drizzled the hearts.
I dressed them up with a little bow, but then I had an even better idea!  Why not add festive Valentine messages to each heart cake pop??
I used the paper from Pink Igloo Designs' Hugs & Kisses kit to create these tags.  Good news--you can print and download your own tags at the end of this post! (Thanks, Pink Igloo Designs!)  After wrapping the hearts in clear cellophane wrap, I punched holes in the top and bottom of each tag, and just slid them on the stick!
Even if you don't give them away, they make awfully cute centerpieces to add to your Valentine's Day decor!
If you would like to make your own cake pops, you can choose from these 3 tags for your very own pops!
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Comments

1. The McNeil Family says:

Thes are adorable!! I want to try to make them. Thanks

2. Swainston Vinyl & Dezign says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

3. Swainston Vinyl & Dezign says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

4. Swainston Vinyl & Dezign says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

5. Swainston Vinyl & Dezign says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

6. Elle Belles Bows says:

They look super! One of these days I plan to work up the nerve to make the cake pops! For now, I will enjoy viewing yours:-) Kerri

These are just too cute, Alison! Perfect for v-day. Congrats on being on Tip Junkie!

8. No Ordinary Me says:

Those are so cool.

9. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing.

10. what a great idea…. thanks for sharing it!

11. delicious idea! and i love your blog makeover– very happy ( -:
    xo malia

12. Was wondering how you were going to do the heart shapes and that is an awesome idea.

13. Brooke Douglass says:

These are great and the perfect teacher gift!!! I am your newest follower! I hope you will come join me! Brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

14. so fun and cute and who doesn't love chocolate?!?!? this would make a great gift, thanks for posting, if the ice/snow that we are supposed to get in the next two days comes, this might give me something to do to occupy my time.

15. You are so talented miss Alison! I love the little note that you skewered on the stick. Nice touch!

16. They look and sound amazing.

Ruth

17. HeroCakePops says:

These Valentine's cake pops came out super cute!

18. Heather at Dragonfly Designs says:

Fabulous!!! Do you ship? LOL Thanks for sharing!

19. I LOVE cake balls and red velvet is a favorite! Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower and would love you to come visit me at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com. Thanks!

The Farm Girl

20. Its A Blog Party says:

Would love for you to join us at the Hugs and Kisses Valentine's Party!

21. I had one disastrous attempt at cake balls, and now I'm hesitant to try them again…but these just look so adorable!

22. It's a Keeper says:

HI! I'm hosting a link up this week — It's a Keeper Thursdays! I hope you can come over and link up!

Thanks!
    It's a Keeper

23. love it i followed u please follow back thanks so much

24. So darling!! I love making cake pops…but I usually stick with circles. I need to try these. Love the ice cube tray idea. Love this as a Valentine's Day gift. Alison you are always so fun. Thanks for always joining in my link parties too friend :)

25. Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea says:

I am going to try these – they don't look too hard but look FANCY! Found you via
    30 days and now am happy to be a follower!

Come check out my tutorial over at http://www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

26. Thank you so much for this post!! I agree with Jessica … they look so darn fancy but do-able for me!! Thank you thank you!!

27. Kelli @ RTSM says:

Making them into heart shapes was such a great idea! I love the tags too!

28. Stacy @ She's {kinda} Crafty says:

Using the mold is SO smart!!! Those look great and I am obsessed with Elise font!

29. Yum! Would love for you to add to my Thursday Treasure Party @

Thanks,

The Treasurista
    Finding and Creating FUN things…

30. These are super cute and they look so yummy!!!

31. Jen-CraftOManiac says:

You Have been featured on CraftOManiac, thanks a bunch winks- jen