L is for Leaves

Happy fall, y'all!  This was a fabulous week for Mommy School, and we are definitely enjoying our Leaves unit!  I was much more relaxed knowing that I had 2 weeks to pack it all in, and Little Man loves repeating the activities after I introduce them.

Here is what we are learning about along with a picture peek through our week:

Theme:  Leaves
Letter:  L
Number:  2
Color/Shape:  Yellow
Nursery Rhyme/Song:  In the Leafy Treetops
1.  We made lemonade playdough to spotlight the color yellow.  We used a cookie cutter to cut out leaves and sang songs about them while we played!
2.  We created these marbled leaves (tutorial coming later!)
3.  We went to Grandma's house and used the small wheelbarrow to collect leaves for the week's activities!
4.  We learned one-to-one correspondence by placing fall-colored M&M's on the fall tree.  After we placed the "leaves", we ate them, of course!
5.  Little Man loved to play in his sensory tub including dollar store leaves and gourds, plus red and white beans.
6.  We learned about the number 2 by gluing 2 paper leaves on the numeral 2.
7.  We played a fun color game!  I traced Little Man's hand and cut out colored hands out of felt.  I asked him to give the yellow hands a "high five."
8.  After reading Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert, we made our own leaf creatures.
9.  This happened a little spontaneously.  While I was cooking, Little Man wanted to mix up his own "leaf soup" with silk leaves and a plastic spatula!
10.  We sang songs as he "raked" the leaves.
11.  This was a Mommy craft!  I made melted crayon leaves to hang in our windows.  I love how they turned out!
12.  We counted out the appropriate number of leaves to match to the number tree.
**You can find out more about these activities plus MORE in my download today!**

Motherload download!  As I was browsing ideas and creating my plan for this unit, I wanted to be more organized!  I typed up all my ideas and inserted visual aids into one huge document!  I am sharing this big fat packet with you today!  Even if you don't use the whole packet, I feel like there is something for everyone.   The packet includes:
* Unit activities and games
* Art, science, math, and literature connection ideas for the unit
* Snack ideas
* Book ideas
* Songs and finger plays
* Ideas for the color of the week
* Ideas for the number of the week
* Ideas for the letter of the week
* Visual aids for flannel board stories
* Tons more visual aids and materials

Just a note:  To be clear, I did not invent all of these ideas--I just compiled them!  Many of the ideas I did bring with me from my teaching experience, and I did create many of the visual aids.  However, please review the credits on the last page of the packet to see the sites I visited to compile the packet.

I am sharing this with you because I believe in helping our kids learn at home! But please understand that I am sharing my hours of work with you without compensation.  You can download your own L is for Leaves packet here or here on Scribd. **For personal use only.**

* Clip art designs &/or fonts copyright Dianne J Hook. Used with permission from DJ Inkers.

I love sharing ideas with you, and if you use these ideas at home, I would love for you to share with me!  ENJOY!

Comments

1. Holly says:

Wow! What a great resource and collection of fun L activities! Thanks for more fun ideas for my little ones. I've loved the Mommy School posts!

Very fun! I **love** the high five game. What is it about little boys that they love to give high fives? The leaf creatures are too cute! Looks like a great lesson.

3. Chrissy says:

I love all of the leaf activities! And your little man seems very interested! Great!

4. Lu says:

I love all of your activities — high fiving the colors is a great idea! I'm sure it will work better once my little guy actually learns to high 5 :) Thanks again for sharing all your hard work!

5. Delia says:

You are amazing! Love the leaf stew :)

6. Alicia says:

Have you heard of the program Scribd? Online. You can load your documents on there and share the link. Sandra over at Sawdust and Paper Scraps shared how to do it. Seems pretty easy once you sign up to use it. Just fyi =)

7. Tanya says:

Question for you: I'm considering home schooling my boys, but I'm not sure how to (and even if I should in the earlier grades) separate home and family time with school learning time. Any advice?

8. Carey says:

THANK YOU for sharing these wonderful resources!!! I have really enjoyed and been inspired by your posts!

9. A Plain Path says:

I'm a home school mom, and it's been fun to see your "mommy school" posts!

10. Jenn says:

What great ideas! Following you now! :)

11. Jackie Koll says:

Thank you for this! As you know, I love your ideas and I've downloaded this packet already. Besides the great ideas, it has helped me with my own planning. I'm such a visual person – your plan has saved me all of my normal steps of figuring out how I'm going to lay things out. We are getting ready to start a new lesson and as I've been searching for ideas I was struggling with a layout – this helped me plus the other docs you have posted for your plan as well. Thanks for being willing to share!

12. Lyndsey says:

What a cute little mom you are :) Thanks for the nice comment – I really appreciate it!!! You are awesome!!!

13. Jess says:

I was so excited to see this! Planning on doing leaves myself in November, and now I have tons of ideas, thanks to you. Please please put a packet together with you owls week! Or at least share the owl number cards with us! Again Thanks so much!

14. Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape says:

awesome ideas, thanks for the packet, I'll go back and download. Hope you're having a great weekend.

15. Daphne says:

WOW, Alison! This is so awesome! Thanks so much for the great ideas & the amazing download!!! :)

16. CorieAnn Scarbrough says:

Wowzers! This is incredible! What a terrific resource! You are so talented!

17. Becky says:

Awesome!! We just planted our first tree this weekend and little man was beside himself helping daddy dig the hole. This packet is perfect! Thank you!!

18. The Sandalls says:

I just have to say I LOVE your mommy school!!! I have been wanting to put together something on letters for my 2 soon to be 3 year old but it was just so overwhelming with everything out there and than I discovered your blog!! I love how you have organized your letters and numbers! Thanks so much for putting forth the effort!! By the way– I am Celeste's cousin! Love you guys!!

19. Heather J. says:

I love how you've organized this post! It's awesome and packed full of great ideas. We are doing a leaf theme this week too. I just might have to include some of these ideas. :)

20. twolittleseeds says:

Lovely ideas x

21. 3G=Growing Godly Girlz says:
  22. Deb Chitwood says:

So many great leaf activities! I featured your post at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

23. Anonymous says:

Will this download be made available again? It looks wonderful!

24. Jess says:

I was looking for this download since I didn't get it transfered to my new computer…Please make it available again, my son still asks for his tree m&m game and I was looking for it to do it with easter m&ms for the spring (and green for St. Pats and Summer) Really need that, but would like the rest of it please. You could email it to me if you want at [email protected]! Thanks a ton!

25. Brittany says:

I have a couple of questions… do you do these lesson plans in a specific order, or do you just base it off of seasons and things of that nature? Also, with there being so much info, do you print them from home or go elsewhere and do so? This is an AWESOME resource and I can’t wait to get started with my son! THANKS!

26. Sooooo many wonderful ideas! I featured this post at Lines Across My Face in a fall leaf roundup.
    Rachel

27. Chelsea Letchworth says:

I was wondering how to make the flannel board stories?

28. Teri says:

Thank you for all the work you put into these. I am excited to share them with my little ones

29. Nicolette says:

Awesome packet. Thanks for all the hard work that went into this set. You just saved me tons of time :)

30. Nana Rett says:

I stumbled on your site from Pinterest… and I am soooo glad I did. I have developmentally delayed toddler and your shares will be so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work. Be Blessed!!

31. Kelly Hinett says:

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful themed packets! I cannot wait to use them with my 2 year old! I know it is hard work, but please keep sharing your ideas, it’s greatly appreciated:)

32. I love these Monmy Packets! Your so talented!! And thank you for sharing!!
    Danielle Cooper recently posted..Kids Say The Darndest ThingsMy Profile

1. [...] cut out leaves from felt to use on our felt board. I got the cut out for the leaves from Alison at Oopsey Daisy. She has great theme printables! We used some of her ideas from L is for Leaves during our Autumn [...]

2. [...] I also added washable markers to his art center. Caden really enjoyed coloring with the markers. As he chose the colors to use, I would say the name of the color and sometimes he would repeat me. I don’t think it will be long before Caden learns all his colors. Here Caden is coloring a leaf print out from the L is for Leaves pack from Oopsey Daisy. [...]

3. [...] Despite my best efforts Caden wasn’t interested in playing a leaf matching tray that I had set out, or the letter L lacing tray. Usually Caden will try the matching game, but I guess he just wasn’t into this one. He also tried the lacing letter, but I think it was too difficult for him. I think he would do better with a stiffer object instead of a laminated piece of cardstock to lace and a shoelace instead of a string of yarn with the end taped. Both of these trays were printed from the L is for Leaves pack from Oopsey Daisy. [...]

4. [...] Leaves {Oopsey Daisy} [...]