Halloween Advent Calendar {Tutorial & Download}

Don't get me wrong--I absolutely love summer!  I love the warm weather, the carefree attitude, and I treasure all of the family fun in the sun!  But yet I find myself itching for fall.  I am already planning the holidays and definitely gearing up for Halloween!  What better way to anticipate Halloween than with an advent calendar... and a yummy one at that!
Let me introduce you to our Halloween advent calendar!  The idea is that each day of October, you eat a piece of candy and look forward to Halloween!  Mr. Oopsey Daisy doesn't enjoy sweets all that much, so it's just lil' old me!  Eat a piece of candy every day?!  Yep, I can do that!!

I cooked up this project in time for our family reunion.  I wanted to have a crafting "Super Saturday" with my Mom and sisters!!  So I gathered supplies and made them little kits, and we made a few different crafts together one quiet afternoon while the little boys were napping.  (Don't you just love our matching t-shirts?!)  It was fun to sit back and help them craft while I shot pictures!
We started out with magnetic cookie sheets from the dollar store.  I mod-podged some cute Halloween paper onto the cookie sheet.
The paper didn't quite cover the edges of the cookie sheet, so I mod-podged ribbon strips to create a border on both sides.
I cut strips of scrapbook paper and mod-podged them on to create a calendar grid, 5 rows by 7 columns.
I wanted to be sure that I could tape candy onto my calendar year after year, so I gave the calendar a good coat of mod-podge over the top of it all.
I used the Cricut to cut out an October heading and laminated it for durability.  I threw some magnets on the back and now I have an adorable heading!
Next, I wanted to create cute marble magnets as the numbers on the calendar.  I made these calendar numbers in Photoshop, cut them out and mod-podged them underneath the glass marbles and added magnet tape to the backs of each.  As magnets, I could slide the numbers around to create a new calendar each year.
Not too shabby, eh?  I love the marbled look to them!!
Missing something??  Oh yeah... let's add the candy!!
Whew!  That's one busy calendar, jampacked full of chocolatey goodness!  I found that double stick tape worked best to secure the candy onto the calendar.  I can hardly wait for October 1st to roll around so I can start munching on some of my favorite candy!!!
If you would like to make your own Halloween advent calendar, you can download and print these numbers to create your own magnets!  You can download your own set of numbers here.
**By the way, I am going to be switching over all of my downloads to Google Docs instead of Scribd.  Thanks to some helpful readers, I have learned that Scribd charges for downloads after a certain period of time.  If you've had troubles downloading my printables in the past, I hope to get this changed over soon! **
Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

1. [email protected] says:

I love Halloween and products are everywhere already.

This is a fun idea to count down the days and I love your candy choice, I'll have to make one for my family.

By the way, I LOVE your blog, can't believe I didn't run into it before. I'm your newest follower.

2. staci @ lizard n ladybug says:

I can't wait to make my own Candy countdown calendar!! Thanks for sharing the numbers :)

3. Oh my… I must make one of these asap! My husband absolutely LOVES the concepts of Advent calendars and to really get him in the mood for Halloween I'll have to make one of these! Brilliant idea!

4. What a cute idea! I wonder if there would be an easy way to be able to make a magnetic candy holder, so you wouldn't have to worry about the tape sticking (since I'm too impatient to wait for that many coats of mod podge to dry!)… hmm.. the wheels are turning…

5. Very cute, can't wait to make one!

Okay, this is too fun. And its super cute! I am gaga over all things Halloween (I won't even tell you how many Halloween-themed scrapbook embellishments I have!). And to get to eat a piece of candy every day to boot? NICE!!!

7. I am TOTALLY stealing this one! How cute!! Can't wait to BOO my friends!

8. Valgardson Family says:

I love this idea, and am very excited to make this. I would love one of these for Christmas or easter

9. That is a very cute idea. Bring on Halloween – our weather is already Fallish!

10. Stephanie O. says:

This is great. What a fun twist on the traditional advent calendar! Thanks for sharing…

11. I love this!

12. I love your Halloween project – thanks so much for sharing your talents!!!

13. I love this idea!!!! Thanks for the download of the numbers too!!!! Great job!!!!

14. Mormishmom says:

I adore Halloween crafts! This is right up my alley! Thank you sharing it.

15. such a cute idea…i love it!

16. Nikki ~ I will follow U Back! says:

OMG!! This is totally awesom and number one on my TA,DO list! My son's B-day is the 28th and he always gets excited knowing how close Halloween is!! THANK YOU!!!!

17. I love Halloween and I love advent calendars. Great idea!

18. Courtney @ A Diamond in the Stuff says:

Very cute idea! Or should I say, a very SWEET idea!!!

19. Very cool project! I especially love the idea of getting to eat the candy each day!

20. What a fun project idea! The kids would love this!

21. This is adorable! I'm a chocoholic, though, so I'm afraid I'd eat all the chocolate before halloween! And how fun that you got to craft with your mom and sisters! My mom doesn't have a crafty bone in her body, bless her heart! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment–it made my day!

22. Thank you for the Halloween numbers! Printing them now…would you please consider doing Christmas colored ones? I don't know how to do the tekkie computer printshop stuff! :)

23. Daydream Believer says:

I love Halloween too! Great project! Thanks for sharing! I found this at Tatertots and Jello and am now following you! :)

24. Clark and Liesel says:

Wow! That is super cute!! Thanks for sharing!

25. This is so so cute!!! Thank you for linking it up. I am just loving it. :) Happy weekend to you.

26. This is so cute! You are so creative! Thanks for sharing!

27. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this project!!! What a cute idea. It helps I ADORE Halloween! :)

28. Mod Podge Amy says:

This is such a wonderful way to celebrate my favorite holiday!

29. Jess.Bevil says:

Just wanted to let you know that I am new to reading your blog but I have to admit… there isn't ANYTHING that I've seen that I don't plan on trying!! Your posts are awesome♥

30. This is so cute. What a fantastic idea!

31. Handy Man, Crafty Woman says:

What a creative idea! thanks for sharing. My son would love this! He loves Halloween.

32. yay! I love that you so generously shared this project! Now I can get a head start on Halloween. Love, Love, Love counting down to fun! Thanks!

33. Prim 'n' Whimsy Creations says:

How clever is this! Love it. And it has endless possiblities.

34. I will definetely be making one of these for my little one! Thanks for the numbers as well! I am now a follower!

35. Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup says:

That is SUCH an adorable idea!

36. An Experiment in Happiness says:

I stumbled on your blog and I think it is great! This is a cute idea and thanks so much for sharing.
    ~ Jessica

37. Thanks for the project, the infor on Scribd and Google Docs, and introducing me to a new meme.

38. My kids are going to LOVE me! Thanks for the fun cute and tasty :) idea. Off to the dollar store today. I love Halloween!

39. So cute!!! I can't believe people are doing halloween things…. I'm so behind!

40. I love this! I am excited for Halloween too!

41. I am so ready for Halloween! Your candy countdown is Spookacular! Thanks for sharing. I will be linking to your cute project.
    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

42. elizabeth says:

This us so awesomE! And even better is how kind you are to offer the numbers to us – thank you!

43. Alison, this is amazing. I always love your crafts but this project is so good it's scary (sorry couldn't help myself)! Thanks for the numbers too. I hope you'll visit my new linky party tomorrow "A Crafty Soiree" and link this up!

44. The Creative Chickadee says:

Love this!! Such a cute idea and can't wait to make one.
    Kelly

45. Kristy @ Next to Heaven says:

You are my new favorite blog! Thanks for all the inspiration… Working on 3 of these! You are really amazing and how sweet you are to offer the printables! THANK YOU!

PS. I did a little shout on on my blog to yours!

46. allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com says:

what an awesome idea!! the cookie sheet is brilliant and I love counting down for anything – anticipation of holidays is the best part!
    Partying with you at Someday Crafts!

47. this is super cute!! i am totally gonna make one!

48. Jennie Callahan says:

Wonderful idea! I'm going to make a Christmast one too…and an Easter one..and…lol

49. Any excuse to eat a candy bar works for me! Thanks for the awesome tute and download. Would love to have you come join my new Link up, Make it Fantabulous Friday!
    Joy
    mommaskindacrafty.blogspot.com

I'm spreading your candy bar, er, I mean advent love over at my place today. I included it with a little round up of crafty Halloween goodness! :)

51. [email protected] Passions says:

DARLING!!! I am hosting a Thursday Linky called Thrilling Thursday. I would love for you to stop by and link up!
    Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions
    ~Lori

52. Cool idea! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

53. [email protected] Passions says:

Thanks for linking up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions. I hope you will join in again next week :)

54. Cute stuff Allison! I've featured you this morning on Craft Gossip :) http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/halloween-advent-calendar/

55. Katie's Nesting Spot says:

This is such a fun idea, a cute way to decorate for the season, and an inexpensive craft. Thank you for the download and for linking up to A Crafty Soiree!

56. I saw this at Craft Gossip! Congrats! I got featured there today as well! :)

57. Chic Creations says:

That calendar is adorable. I love it! I am definately going to make one for my grandchildren. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

58. BabiesandBargains says:

wow I want to do this however that means I need to make 2 for my older 2 kids…Great idea

59. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says:

I love fall! What a fun advent calendar for Halloween! Looks like a fun project. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday!

60. Featuring you as a party favorite! Come grab a button and hope to see you next week!
    Joy

61. OMG this is TOO cute!
    I invite you to come this this up at my Making It Linky Party!
    Allie
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

62. So very cute!!! I am not sure the candy would last until the end of the month though…and I might be the one who would eat it!! ;D

Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different…Act Normal

63. Jenny @ Embellishing Life says:

Really cute. I have a bunch of glass marbles left over from another project. Now I know what to do with them! I am your newest follower :)

64. This is so cute! I'm doing this with my sisters & sister-in-law next week. Do you by chance have the measurements for the ribbon? We're each bringing part of it and I want to make sure we have enough of everything. Thanks for sharing all your fun ideas!

65. What a cute project! Now the cookie sheet is magnetic?? or just a plain cookie sheet that you put magnets on the back?

Jackie

66. So cute! Headed to the store tomorrow to buy everything to make this. I have 3 kids, and only want to make one calendar to display in my kitchen. Any suggestions on how to have 3 pieces of candy for each day/kid?

Thanks, Mindie

67. That looks such a fun activity to do with my nieces and nephews.

68. Mandy Lou ♥ says:

My girlfriends and I had such a great time making this calendar!

check it out…

I hope you like what we did!

69. Stathis Five says:

loved this idea so much that I made 5 of them to mail out to my nieces and nephews and need to make one more. Thanks for the great idea. Loved loved it.

70. Emily and Cory says:

Thanks so much for the idea and download! I had so much fun making mine! http://itsuscoryandemily.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-advent-calendar.html

71. Sophia Luksana says:

I love your yummy and sweet Halloween advent calendar! My sweet tooth is into those mini goodies. I'm going to try this out. Hope there will still be some candies left while I'm making it :)I love craft projects here. Thank you for the tutorial. I've done craft works and posted on http://www.makemania.com Take a look at mine and feel free to promote your blog!

72. I really like your Advert craft. I'm a Asst Teacher and thouhgt this world be great to put animal pic's as we sing song to the children. Going to make the Felt Board as well… went out today and got everything and am excited to start!!