Chicka Chicka Boom Boom File Folder Game

I should have declared this week "Ideas for Kids Week."  As I scroll through this week's posts, I am realizing that I featured tons of ideas for kids!!  But with summer in full swing and our pursuit of keeping our kids happily entertained, I think that's appropriate.  But just to keep myself balanced, I have several decor crafts prepared for next week.

I am slightly enraptured with file folder games.  I had oodles of them as a teacher.  And I am proud to say that I just finished Little Man's first file folder game.  I can hardly wait for him to wake up and see it!  I am also excited to share it with you today!

One of my favorite books is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault. I think that this a fun way to introduce the ABC's. This book was my inspiration!  Portrayed by my all-time favorite DJ Inker'sclip art, I created this little beauty:

The goal of this file folder game is simply exposure to the ABC's.  Using velcro, the coconuts can be affixed to the coconut tree.  They can be pulled on and off and creep their way to the top of the coconut tree!  And chicka chicka boom boom--those letters can come off, too!

I created a beach scene with the iconic Chicka Chicka Boom Boom coconut tree that I downloaded at DJ Inker's.  I made one for each side of the folder to hold all 26 letters of the alphabet!  I can't stop singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts..." when I look at these happy little ABC coconuts!

See why I needed TWO coconut trees to fit all 26 letters??

Aren't those coconuts so happy and fun?!

For easy storage, all of the coconuts can be stashed in a ziplock bag and adhered (also with velcro!) to the back of the file folder game. If you laminate everything, this little goody will last you a lifetime!

And yes, I am willing to share!  To assemble your very own file folder game...
* Download the ABC coconuts, available here.  I printed my coconuts on cardstock to give them a bit more stability.  But that's up to you!
* Download the palm tree page here.  Print two--one for each side of the folder and paste the entire pages on.  Thanks for the beautiful clips and fonts, DJ Inker's!  Clip art designs &/or fonts copyright Dianne J Hook. Used with permission from DJ Inkers.
* With the folder opened up, laminate the folder and the coconut page for extra durability.  (If you live near a Lakeshore Learning Center, they offer cheap laminating!)
* Cut out the coconuts.
* Adhere velcro on the backs of the coconuts.  I like to use the heavy-duty velcro because it adheres easily and won't come off!  Trust me.  Adhere coordinating velcro onto the coconut trees.  You will need 13 velcro spots on each tree.
* Adhere velcro to a ziplock bag.  Place coconuts inside and adhere coordinating velcro to back of file folder.
* Enjoy!

This little coconut tree is just waiting to be filled up with more letters! :)

Comments

1. Im copying it today! Love it!

2. Love it, love it, love it! That's a favorite book at our house and your game is so cute! Thanks Alison!

3. Jen @ lil Mop Top says:

I haven't read that book yet, but the game looks so cute that I will have to get it from the library ASAP! :) thanks for sharing everything!

4. Deborah (Teach Preschool) says:

One of my favorite book! This is terrific!

5. CraftCrave says:

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [09 Jul 01:25pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

6. Thank you for sharing this, Alison!! My little boy LOVES Chica Chica Boom Boom….I'm definitely making one of these!!

7. Anonymous says:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful resource. I used your Old Mcd. song idea with a tweek, at hobby lobby I found a wooden barn to paint and it has a little shelf to put those wooden animals on when the kids pick them for the song. THANKS! I love making new materials
    Danielle

8. Anonymous says:

thanks for sharing this. i do chicka chicka with my preschoolers every year and am always on the lookout for additions to the unit. this will be a fabulous independent activity for them.

9. So cute and great for long car ride. We love the book and Scholastic Video Collection has taken this story and set it into music/cartoon. It is most likely available in your local library.

P.S. I saw this on Simply Designing

10. So so adorable. My son loves that book too. :)

11. Kimberly says:

This is one of my favorite stories!!! thanks for posting this I will use it well!!!!

12. Kristan says:

Thanks for the fun tutorial! My daughter LOVES this book. I am linking and posting on my blog :)

13. I am definitely sending your blog link to my daughter…she's a teacher also, and I know would love to make these for our GRAND-sons!!! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my little owlie give-a-way. Hope your Sunday is blessed….Deb

14. P.S…I had to sign on as a follower….#1 because I love all your ideas…and #2 because I couldn't bear to see your number at 666!!!
    ha! ha! Be blessed!

15. I love it! Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one of our favorite books. My lil' Monkey is going to love this game!

I'm passing along the Versatile Bloggers Award to you because I love following your blog.

16. Daydream Believer says:

AWESOME! I just found your blog {visiting from Sumos Sweet Stuff Link-up} and this project is PERFECT for my daughter! Chica Chica Boom Boom is her favorite book! She is going to LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!

17. Awesome! We love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. My 6 month old even loves it!

Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids

18. I love that you put the pieces in a plastic bag attached to your folder. I posted a free shape file folder game on my blog today if you want to make another one.

19. shopannies says:

love this thanks so much for sharing

20. Neat idea! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

21. That is awesome, great idea!

22. Alison- this is totally cute! One question…do you know the name of the font you used? I know I have it on my clipart disks in the dj fonts but can't seem to find it. Is it something like djoutline? I'd love to know the name if you have time. Thanks!

23. [email protected] says:

Fun game – my son is a lover of the book and the video – I can just see him playing along as soon as I get it made up! Thanks!

24. alwaysasilverliningblog says:

I love it!! =D

25. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says:

FUN! And a great way to practice the ABC's! Thanks for linking up!

26. Green Gracie Home says:

one of our favorite books! love that project…

27. simplydesigning.blogspot.com says:

What a FABULOUS idea!

I will need to make this for my daughter! She loves that book.

Such an inspired idea.

Thanks so much for linking it up! And thanks for the freebie downloads too! (hurray!)

I am featuring this tomorrow on my site so stop by to check it out. Also I would love it if you join my link party again tomorrow. Plus I am hosting a giveaway!

Thanks so much!
    Ashley @ http://www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

28. simplydesigning.blogspot.com says:

P.S. – I don't facebook. I am a bit behind the times I know…it looks like to download the pages you created you have to create an account? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks!

29. Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

30. kristin renee says:

Oh my preschoolers will love love love this! Thank you for this great idea. :)

31. CoastalCody says:

Love the velcro-ed ziplock storage bag idea…I have been struggling with finding something that works for all my file folder games. Thanks for the great idea!

32. Kassandra @ Coffee and their Kisses says:

Great idea! I saved this to print out and make for later!

33. Shared this on my blog for our Chicka Chicka week.

Thanks for sharing!!

meandmarielearning.blogspot.com

34. This is our theme for my Pre K class this week. It is our final theme for the outgoing students. I do it at the end each year and end it with a Luau which is tomorrow. Next week they Graduate and then off to Kindergarten!

35. So super cute! I can’t wait to use this next week with my little Kg sweeties! They will L.O.V.E. it!

36. Thank you so much for sharing. Just printed it out and am waiting on the laminator to heat up so I can have this ready for my little girl in the morning. Can’t wait…she LOVES Chica Chica Boom Boom.

37. It says the ABCs are no longer available to download! Is this so?? Is there any way to get them? My twins would love this!?

• [email protected] Daisy says:

The ABC’s are definitely available. it says “no preview available.” You can still go to File – Download. Enjoy!

38. It’s a great idea thanks. Congratulation you have a very interesting page.

39. love this! Do you happen to have any coconuts with lower case letters?

1. […] is a link to a cute Chicka Chicka Boom Boom file folder […]

2. […] Chicka Chicka Boom Boom File Folder Game from Oopsey Daisy One of my favorite books is Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, Jr. and John Archambault. I think that this a fun way to introduce the ABC’s. – See more at: http://www.oopseydaisyblog.com/2010/07/chicka-chicka-boom-boom-file-folder.html#sthash.M1WG4N1X.dpuf […]

3. […] FREE Printable Chicka Chicka Boom Boom File Folder Game at Oopsey Daisy […]