Make Your Own Flannel Board

Can it be possible that I do not already own a flannel board?!

I finally decided to fix my little problem.  I turned this $6 nothing-special-at-all whiteboard into my fabulous multi-purpose flannel board
Want to see how I did it?
I started out with this little guy from Wal-Mart.  I did like that it was a magnetic white board... it's already serving 2 purposes.  Score!  But I really only needed the back of the board to create my flannel board.
I wanted to make the back of the whiteboard into a flannel board.  So I bought some blue flannel on sale, and cut a piece that was a bit larger than the board.
To hide the edges and prevent fraying, I folded all 4 sides and pressed my folds under in order to create my desired size.
I used hot glue to secure the flannel to the board.  Where would I be without my hot glue gun?!  I had hoped to staple my flannel right on the board, but the plastic was just too flimsy.  But if you have a wood board, by all means, staple away!
The board was just a little bare for my liking... so I beautified!  I added ribbon to both sides of my board.
I probably went overboard by adding felt flowers in a corner for extra cuteness.  But I like the finishing touch!  Here is the final product:
I was so anxious to turn this into a Family Home Evening tool that I added some burlap magnets to the whiteboard side to maximize its use!
This flannel board/white board now has 3 purposes:  1.  Flannel board stories and activities.  2.  Writing.  3.  Magnetic activities.   I love the magic of multi-purposing!  We are already getting great use out of this flannel board!
 I firmly believe that the flannel board is an amazing learning tool. My son is loving all of the songs and stories--that's for sure!

Comments

1. Anj says:

I want to be a fly on the wall at your FHE's. Mine are always last minute and usually end with the kids doing cartwheels and various other party tricks… sigh. I need to be more proactive like YOU!! Good job!

2. Kellie Spiker says:

Your an adorable mommy Alison!

3. Emi says:

What an awesome idea! Im going to have to make one too! Thanks! Emily jandeecrafts.blogspot.com

4. Miss Crafty Pants says:

I'd LOVED your tutorial! I can't thank you enough for helping me out at this time.
    -Erika

Such a fun idea! And your felt flowers are superb. :)

6. Alison says:

Hee hee. Thanks, Michele. I had an excellent teacher!

7. Leslie says:

What a great idea! I wanted to let you know that I gave you the trendy blog award over at my blog. nightowlcrafting.blogspot.com

8. Denise says:

Following you over from New Friend Friday!

Stop by and enter my giveaway:

9. daniii♥ says:

awesome idea!!!

(visiting from nff)

10. Stacey @ Fun to Craft says:

Very cute idea. I have been wanting a flannel board too. Love it!!

11. Charles says:

I absolutely L-O-V-E Love your blog! Thank you so much for all of your ideas! I just made a flannel board (using felt) from this tutorial. I had to go out and buy a whiteboard because I thought this was the best idea! When I told my husband I was turning it into a flannel board, he asked why I would ruin a perfectly good white board?! I was happy to show your blog to him so he could see it too before I made it. Thanks so much!

melissa

12. jill says:

so cute, is the flannel side still magnetic??

13. Alyson says:

Love it! I just happen to have this very same board that I purchased at Walmart, much more secure than the foam board I going to use! Thank you! :)

14. Aimee says:

How did you do the animals etc for the felt side? Velcro? Magnets? Thanks

• Hi Aimee! I’m not sure what you mean. For the felt side, I cut my shapes out of flannel and they stick right on. Or, if I want to stick laminated visual aids on the felt side, I just mod podge some flannel to them. I hope that helps :)
      Alison@Oopsey Daisy recently posted..DIY Milk GlassMy Profile

15. Amy Fisher says:

Such a lofty idea! I agree, the flowers make the finishing touch. Super cute, useful, and pretty. Thank you so much for sharing!

1. [...] how to make this simple felt board from Time for Play or make this cute flannel board from Oopsey [...]

2. [...] I really needed a flannel board for preschool and I wanted more than one. I found some that were not really that expensive but I still like making my own things so I made my own thanks to the wonderful tutorial provided by Oopsie Daisy. [...]

3. [...] purchased for this unit were ingredients for the recipes.  I also made my own felt board using an easy tutorial (again from Oopsey Daisy Blog).  Our first venture into preschool at home has been a success! Like [...]

4. [...] found an awesome site, Teach Preschool, which linked to Oopsey Daisy where Alison explained how to make my own felt board.  I used the general [...]