Cutting Fabric With Your Cricut!

That your Cricut can cut fabric?!

Am I the last one to figure this out?!  I had heard rumors that this was true, but decided to try it out for myself to make my little guy this applique shirt:
One of the things I like least about sewing is the cutting, so this little trick is going to save me for sure.  Here is what I did:

1.  I used a 100% cotton fabric.  I am not sure if any other fabrics would work.  I pre-washed my fabric with NO fabric softener.
2.  I adhered Heat-N-Bond to my fabric.  I have heard that Pellon does NOT work, so avoid that.  I just followed the directions on the package.
3.  I peeled the paper backing off of the fabric and adhered it right on my Cricut mat.  I smoothed it on the mat so it was good and smooth.  I cleaned my mat right before this step, just to be sure it would have the ultimate clean cut.
4.  On my cricut, I set the speed on the lowest possible setting and the pressure on the highest possible setting to be sure it would go slow enough and deep enough to cut through.  I have also heard that using a brand new blade ensures the best cut or having a blade set aside just for cutting fabric would be a good idea.  But I used my old, very-used blade and had no problems at all.

5.  CUT.  I was still in denial that this would work, so you can imagine my amazement when I peeled away the fabric and found out that it really worked!

Because I was doing an applique, I ironed my fabric right on my shirt.  I found that my large fabric pieces "stuck" the best at this point.  My tiny "Lucky Charms" letters needed an extra layer of Heat-n-Bond to stick.  It seemed to lose some stickiness after I peeled them off the mat.
So after sewing around my edges, here is the final effect!!  My little guy is a very active model--a moving target!!  I thought this was the most manly shamrock, but just in case I paired it up with his camo pants.  I don't want anyone thinking he is wearing a flower!!  Strangers STILL ask me if he is a girl.  Must be those pretty blue eyes.

This is the best view I could get of the back of the shirt.  By the way, appliquing tiny letters is so difficult!!!  My mother and I both had the hardest time.  So I gave up on the shirt saying "Lucky Charm" and just went with "Lucky."  I am definitely going simple with my next applique.  No more tiny letters!!!
Linking up to

Comments

1. That is super cute! I so badly want a Cricut!

2. Diana and Fam says:

Wow, I didn't know you could do that either! Way neat! One day I will get one….

3. Celeste says:

Very cute shirt. He'll be all set for the green dinner!

4. Kim @ seven thirty three says:

I tried it but I kept the paper backing on from the heat-n-bond so didn't get a clean cut. Have to try it this way… what pressure setting did you use with the blade?

5. Totally love this tutorial!! Thank you :)

6. The Crandizzles says:

I tried it with wonder under… it worked but it stretched out the fabric and didn't work super well. Just FYI.

7. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I am going to have to give it a try!

8. Carlie Barrus says:

Another trick you can use is to purchase quilting sticky spray and spray your cutting mat before you place the fabric on there, it will hold the fabric securely without having to loose the stick by peeling off the paper from the heat and bond. this is also a good trick for keeping the same cricut mat without having to buy a new one every time the stick goes away- just spray it with more quilting sticky spray and whala! you have a good as new mat. you can also buy wonder under which is double sided interfacing

9. Rafahi Family says:

This is great. I have wondered about this for awhile, but never had the guts to try it on my Cricut. My daughter and I are going to have so much fun making some creative things now!

10. Carole and Lee says:

Oh I just got a Cricut this week ($84 at Jo Anne's!!) and I can't wait to try this! A great way of combining my two loves… paper crafting and sewing!!

11. Patricia says:

thank you!!!
    i am so excited to try it!!
    oh and nice to meet you too!

12. Angie - [email protected] says:

Oh wow how neat! Come share your idea at my party: Thursday's Treasures!!

13. Bohemian Gypsy Goddess says:

Oh, so cute! I knew I wanted a Cricut for some reason :)

14. Sweet.Kiwi.Crochet says:

Yay! I've been trying to figure out how to do this forever!

15. The Fox's says:

just a suggestion, after a while i have found the applique can start to peel of at the edges. I would just do a quick stitch around it just to secure it. You could even do a cute blanket stitch.

16. Thank you so much for all of your kind comments!!! They seriously make my day!! Here's a couple of answers to questions:

Kim, I set the pressure on the blade to 5. I have heard cutting it in "portrait" mode may help too, although I didn't try it.

I did use the quilters basting spray on my mat just before doing this to give it some extra stickiness just like Carlie suggested. I love that stuff and it HAS saved me from buying extra mats even though mine has taken a beating!!

Fox's, you are exactly right about sewing around appliques. I did sew around all of the edges of my applique… I will have to do a better close up on it, perhaps.

Carole, you are going to LOVE your cricut. Man, I feel empty if I go a day without using it. Just kidding, but I DO love it.

17. That is awesome! I have a cricut and never use it. I just need to make time to try this out! Great job!

18. I've never tried to cut fabric with my cricut (it is on my to-do list though) but I ran across this the other day and thought I'd share – it looks a little different than what you're doing and may help (or not)? Just a different version from what I can tell –
    Happy Cricut-ting!

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing!

20. Goodness – thank you so much for this.
    I've tried so many times, but never removed the paper backing, and would always give up! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

21. This is like Christmas in March, girl! Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to trying this out and getting lots of miles out of my cricut.

22. I have been to chicken to try it, but you have given me the encouragement I needed to give it a go. May I ask what cartridge you have that did the shamrock? I have been looking for one but didn't see it.
    Thanks again for the tutorial !

23. Ange… I gave up on buying cartridges and bought a computer program instead. It's called Sure Cuts A Lot 2. You can use your own computer fonts and download any image you want for your cricut to cut. I LOVE it!! So I just googled shamrock images and downloaded one. I highly recommend this program–no more cartridges!

24. THANK YOU!!! YOU ARE NOT THE LAST TO FIGURE IT OUT!! My whole family of sisters and mom are thrilled with this knowledge. Thanks!

25. Mommy Jenny says:

Hey! I came over from U Create. Love the shirt! And your little boy is adorable! Love those little teeth! And, don't worry, people constantly think my little girl (dressed in pink flowers) is a boy!
    I have the smaller Cricut. Think it will work just as well?

26. AllyOop Boutique says:

Which Cricut machine do you use? I have been considering getting one, but I don't know if the inexpensive one from JoAnn's would work as well as a more expensive version.

27. Katie's Nesting Spot says:

I just got a Cricut and am so excited to find out I can use it cut fabric. Thanks for sharing!

28. So cute! Has anyone tried cutting felt on their Cricut? I just have the regular Cricut, not the Expression. I want to make some cute crowns out of felt for my twins' barnyard birthday party.

29. AllyOOp, I have a Cricut Expressions, and I am by no means an expert on the other machines, so I am not sure about the cheaper version. Let me know though!

Katie, if you try out felt, let me know!! Barnyard birthday party?! Cute!!

30. this may have already been said but you don't peel the paper off before you cut. that helps a lot. i've cut a TON of fabric…you can use the purple heat n bond so you can sew it, too.
    you can use the reg. cricut to cut felt. i did that, too.
    i've used my cricut to cut gumpaste as well :) that i got from a dvd http://www.creativedesignscakes.com

31. Atticelf says:

Wow. Really??? I never thought of using my Cricut to cut fabric. That is so cool! And, your little one is too adorable BTW. :)

32. Megan @ Megity's Handmade says:

Shut up! No way! I'm super excited and I am not kidding!! This is going to be great! I've been wanting to get a Big Shot because I know they cut fabric, but now I don't have to. Thanks for the tip and of course, it's adorable on your cute little guy. BTW, I have a giveaway going on right now. Come on over and enter!

33. ahh i love it!!! I am so going to cut some fabric this weekend with my cricut!!!!

34. My niece sent me to your blog, and I just tried this! THanks!!!!!!! SOOO CUTE!

35. Ashley Ann says:

I have a cricket and have been looking everywhere for how to cut fabric! I'm so excited to try this! thanks for sharing!

36. I have been dying to try this I hadn’t seen it done but we have the paper dolls cartridge and I want to use fabric and not paper. Now I know I can Thank you SO MUCH. I can’t wait to try it out.

37. Hello! Found your blog through a pin on Pinterest! Love the tute on cutting your fabric, I am definately going to give this a try! I cut a felt sheet a few weeks ago and did something similar, but not actual cotton fabric! Thanks for the info, and I’m now following you! Oh, and by the way, I’m Alison with one L too! :)

38. Marla Waters says:

Hey. This is how I cut fabric with my cricut machine too. Instead of peeling off the heat n bond paper before cutting, I leave it on. I also use blue painters tape (about one inch wide) to make sure my piece of fabric is completely secure. I use a cute zig zag stitch to sew it onto the t-shirts I make.

39. You can cut satin with it too. :) I use it to make those satin flower hairclips. Perfect circles every time. I just laid the fabric right on to the mat, since I wasn’t using it for an applique.

40. I just came across your tute on Pinterest (which I will definitely be repinning)!! I’m totally going to have to try it with my Cricut!! I had my son dressed in all blue with a cute blue blanket and people still said “SHE is so cute” and I would say “thanks but he’s a dude”….for him, I think it’s his eyelashes..but your little boy is adorable!! thanks again for the tutorial!

41. Oh my goodness you are Awesome!!! I was a little skepitcal myself but after the cricut stopped and I too peeled the fabric away…. a miracle!!! This was such a great help and I cant wait to make more crafts using this method. Love your blog!!!!

42. I’ve used this method many times and have loved it. An alternative is Steam-A-Seam instead of the H&B. It gives also cuts great on the Cricut.

43. Nancy A. Thornton says:

I have a question did you use the regular cricut blade housing or the deep cut housing

44. I wonder how well it would cut felt.

45. I was sooo excited to read this on Pinterest ! I recently started sewing again after a disastrous machine lock-up (user error, lol !) while “reteaching” myself to sew, one the first attempt made an adorable heart appliqué… Second shape I chose, not “sew” easy to cut out and stitch- so I had all but given up to assorted cute shapes… Till I read your tutorial !!! I have had my Cricut now for a few years, and my daughter uses it more than I do (GREAT for perfect Science Fair Display Boards)… But I am super excited to get more use out of my Cricut now ! Thanks so much 😉

46. Hey, Alison! I have been wanting a cricut for a long time and was so excited to read your tutorial! Which machine do you have? Do you know if all the machines can cut fabric?

Thanks!

1. […] can you cut fabric with it…. and the answer is YES! i found this great tut by oopsey daisy.. GO HERE and it’s got great advice about not using small images etc…. so go find yourself a […]