Burlap Bunnies

I have been so excited about this project!!  I was going to post this tomorrow, but I can't wait.  I have been working hard on these little guys and gals:  My little burlap bunnies.  I saw this idea in Little Green Bean's Etsy Store.  I knew I had to give this a shot!!  So here is a little tutorial:

You will need:
Burlap - I used scraps, so I'm not sure how much.
Sewing machine, pins, tan thread, and other sewing supplies.
Dry beans for stuffing.
Black acrylic paint.
Pink distressing ink.
Buttons, fabric strips, or other embellishments.
1.  I cut 2 pieces of burlap.  I did not measure, but I tried to make my pieces tall and long.
2.  I cut a "V" shape in the top of each piece for the bunny's ears.  Then I matched them up and pinned.
3.  I sewed up a little bunny sack to stuff with dry beans.  I did not sew any part of the ears yet.  So I started just across from the bottom of the V (does that make sense??) and sewed 3 sides and stopped, leaving plenty of room to sew up the ears later.  Hopefully the diagram helps make sense of that.
4.  Next, I clipped my corners and turned the little bunny sack inside out.  I bought the cheapest dry beans I could find, and poured the beans in.  I didn't stuff them TOO full because I wanted to leave room to sew these up in the next step. (I still had beans pouring out... this is why I chose beans and not rice!)
5. Alright, ladies.  If you are extremely talented and have a very capable sewing machine, you could attempt to sew gathers in burlap.  I broke off a sewing machine needle trying to do this.  So plan B:  I sewed straight across the top of my bunny sack and used my ribbon/fabric scraps to gather them.  Then I sewed around each of the ears and trimmed them to my liking.  I love that my tan thread was virtually invisible.

6.  Paint and embellish.  I painted the faces using black acrylic paint.   I realized that painting the face lower than I might think turned out the best so it didn't get lost in the "scrunch" when I gathered it.  Using a find Sharpie, I added a few details like whiskers.  I used pink distressing ink (I think it was called "Worn Lipstick") to add a little blush to the bunny's cheeks and the insides of his ears.  Embellishing was the fun part.  I bought NOTHING for this project... just used all scraps and stuff around the house.  I love scrap projects!!
Ta-dah!  I found this cute basket and threw in some Spanish moss.  These three pals are on my mantel.

Here are a few close-ups:
This bunny is my favorite.  (He was my model for most of the photo shoot!)

Meet Bunny-zilla.  I wanted one fat bunny, but I guess I went a little overboard.
There are still 2 more that need finishing touches.  I went bunny-crazy for sure!!
So what do you think?!

Comments

1. Devin and Brooke says:

Oh these are so so so cute!!!

2. somedaycrafts says:

Absolutely Darling!!! I saw these there too and loved them!

3. Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing them with us! : )

4. I have been wanting to make these! Thanks for the tutorial!

5. Clark and Liesel says:

You are so cute! I love the things you come up with. I am having a St. Patrick's day party next week with some friends. Can you please send me your idea's? I am having a hard time coming up with something fun to do! Please HELP!!!

6. Love them!!! So creative…and I love your disclaimer…I know there is ALWAYS an easier way to do the projects I tackle!!! Haha!!!

7. Clark and Liesel says:

You were featured on U Create!!! Way to go!

8. Yay!! I'm glad you did this tutorial!! I've been meaning to figure out how to make these, but now I can just follow your directions!

Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's 'Sew Cute Tuesday'!!

9. farmhouse mama says:

I was just going to sit down during nap time today and try to figure these out. Now I don't have to recreate the wheel. Thanks so much for sharing.

I just happened upon your blog. Very cute ideas!

10. Wow! This makes my day!! Thanks everyone for your happy comments.

11. It is not often that I fall off my chair looking for a pen and paper to catch ideas. I did this time. The bunnies are soooooooo cute! I want one! I will be making them this weekend for sure!
    Thanks!

12. farmhouse mama says:

Thanks again for this tutorial. I just did a post about the one I made on my blog. :)

13. These are adorable! I can't wait to make some! I just came across your blog and I LOVE it!

14. Kristi Flanagan says:

So cute – I'm going to have to make me some!

I'd like to invite you over to my first blog linking party tomorrow (Friday). Come plant a creative seed at Punkin Seed Productions "Plant a Punkin Seed Party"!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

15. Kristi Flanagan says:

Thanks for linking to "Plant a Punkin Seed Party"! Don't forget to grab a button! See you next week! (I can't get over how cute these bunnies are!)

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

16. The Bearded Lady (Laura) says:

Very, very fun!! They are adorable!!! Thank you for the how tos!!

Great inspiration!!

17. Oh these made me smile!!! So adorable. Going to make these for my nieces.

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
    Jilly

18. Adorable! I love burlap…I love bunnies. These are too cute. I just saw some burlap carrots…I want to try that too!

Holly
    504 Main

19. Tam @ Sew Dang Cute says:

These are ADORABLE!!! You did such a great job! Thanks for participating in my link party!!

20. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

Adorable! Bunnies and burlap are a great combo! I have some scraps of burlap that would be perfect for this! Thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day at My Backyard Eden!

21. so cute! may have to make some of these soon!

22. Stacey @ Fun to Craft says:

These are SOOO cute! I love them!! I am going to feature them as part as the Spring has Sprung Party on Fun to Craft. Stop by in a few days to grab a button.

23. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says:

Just wanted to let you know I featured your project this week at My Backyard Eden.

24. Amy @ Positively Splendid says:

These are absolutely darling!!

25. sharla@mylittlegems says:

Alison- I love them!I saw this at Green Bean's and I am so glad you figured it out :) Thanks- now I don't have to- hope I get time to make some. Yours turned out darling!

26. Very cute, I made my own version, but I am linking back. Thanks for the idea!

These are so cute! I included these on my blog today for fun Easter Crafts with tutorials. Can't remember which linky party I first saw them on. I think we frequent many of the same! Thanks for sharing!!

- Michele

28. Kristi Flanagan says:

You've been featured at Punkin Seed Productions! Come grab your button!!!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

29. Jessa Irene (Holiday-Haven) says:

These. Are. So. Cute.! I just had to follow you!!!

30. Hi Alison,

Come check out my bunnies – I love them!
    Thanks!

31. FrouFrouBritches says:

What a precious idea! I love them!

32. So cute. check out my bunnies. Thanks for the tutorial.

33. Alison,
    How stinkin cute are those?!! Love them! how clever. I'm so glad you joined the Easter Roundup!
    Happy Easter!
    Linda

34. I loved this tutorial, although I didn't make mine out of burlap, I did follow your tutorial to make my bunnies. Check them out. http://craftsredesigned.blogspot.com/2010/04/some-bunny-new.html

35. Super cute and super easy!! I linked your tutorial to my site and included pictures. Thanks for the tutorial!

36. hotel price says:

37. Gold Shoe Girl says:

These are the cutest thing ever. I may just have to break out the sewing stuff today. Thanks for the great idea.

38. Why not fill these cute lil bunnies with candy instead of beans. What a cute idea! Even a year later we love it…thanks for keeping it here.

39. I love these, and made tons a couple years ago. Thanks for the tutorial! My mom passed away last year and I found a cute little burlap bunny sitting on her nightstand. So thankful, I made one especially for her and she treasured it.

40. Alison, these are so cute. I love how you can decorate each one differently, and make a few at a time. Perfect for left over burlap scraps and all the saved buttons I have.
    Jennifer recently posted..5 things I know about Blog Commenting EtiquetteMy Profile

41. These are insanely cute, love them!
    Amanda recently posted..Lost Keys Come Home, Maybe!My Profile

42. Alison, these are adorable!!! soooooo sweet! ;)

Bonnie @ Uncommon

43. I love these! Too cute! Love using the burlap! Happy Easter!

44. i just love them!!!!
    peli recently posted..a break from flowersMy Profile

45. Debra Ruffing says:

I was wondering if you could tell me the size of the burlap…I was not sure if it was square or rectangle.

Thank you-so very, very cute!

Debra

1. […] BOTTOM: Carrot Patch Treats from Uncommon Designs Online – Laundry Room Makeover from Little House in the Big D – Burlap Bunnies from Oopsey Daisy […]

2. […] original directions were found Here and all we did to change it up a little is modge poodge the ears so they would remain stiff and not […]

3. […] directions for the burlap bunnies can be found at Oopsey Daisy Blog and I’ve added a pic of how I did the dowel handle to the bunny.Just cut a little slit in the […]